Mar 8, 2013, 5:38 PM EDT
U.S. Olympic Committee CEO Scott Blackmun said he’s pretty happy with the responses they’ve received in the two-plus weeks since he and his crew sent letters to 35 mayors to gauge their interest in hosting the 2024 Olympic Games.
“We’ve gotten a handful of really positive responses and a handful of ‘Gee, thanks for asking, but this really isn’t the right fit for us,'” Blackmun said during a conference call Friday.
“We don’t want to get into any specific responses, but it’s really going well… We also want to respect the cities who want to gauge in this process quietly if that’s what they elect to do.”
Los Angeles, which hosted in 1932 and 1984, has been the most vocal about its desire for the Games to return to the city. San Francisco, Boston, and Dallas have also formed exploratory committees, Tulsa and Orlando seem to have backing from citizens, and Chicago and Detroit have bowed out.
No word yet on Phoenix. Lame. Blackmun estimated that operating costs would exceed $3 billion, not including venue and infrastructure construction. The bidding process alone is likely to cost $10 million.
“Our hope is we can reduce some of the cost that the domestic process has in the past,” Blackmun said. “It’s going to be streamlined and based on more streamlined discussions.”
The USOC still has a couple years before they decide which city they’ll back for the bid, if any. There’s also the possibility it would forgo the 2024 bid and aim for the Winter Games in 2026, in which Denver, Reno/Tahoe, and Salt Lake City have all expressed interest.
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 1
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 0
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- U.S. goes medal-less at World Championships; Bolt, Gatlin, Felix advance 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)