Mar 7, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Acting world wrestling chief Nenad Lalovic met with IOC president Jacques Rogge Thursday to discuss wrestling’s aim to get back in the Olympics.
Lalovic said Rogge detailed the tough task ahead of the sport, which was eliminated from the Games in a vote last month, but can earn its spot back through two IOC votes later this year. But now wrestling faces seven other prospective sports all vying to fill 2020′s one vacancy on the schedule.
Lalovic also apologized for the recent protests by three Olympic medalists who have returned their awards, and another that is on a hunger strike.
“I strongly believe it is not good for wrestling,” he said.
New FILA official Aleksandr Karelin – a three-time Olympic Greco-Roman champ – scolded the recent protesters on FILA’s website, posting that the governing body “would like to request each of you to redirect your passions. We appreciate your tenacity and understand that complacency is not in your DNA.
“Nonetheless, returning your gold medal is counterproductive. Before the practice escalates, we urge you to keep your Olympic medals and celebrate your achievement.”
We assume they’ll follow suit, because of his stature in the community and also because of his actual stature as a man. But seriously, he could probably still beat a lot of them up.
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish 0
- Guide to the Commonwealth Games 0
- 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters 0
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)