Mar 6, 2013, 9:10 AM EST
Three-time Olympic wrestling champs Saori Yoshida and Kaori Icho of Japan greeted the IOC evaluation commission Wednesday in Tokyo as the city is scouted and scrutinized for its potential as the 2020 Olympics host.
The two women hope to bring the Games to their hometown for the first time since 1964, and also hope their sport – Japan’s third most popular – will still exist as part of the Olympics program when those Games roll around in seven years time.
They met the commission at the Tokyo Bay complex where fencing, taekwondo, and, if they get their way, wrestling, would take place in 2020.
Wrestling was recommended for removal last month by the IOC executive committee, but the international wrestling federation is prepping a presentation before the committee votes in May that will determine which sports will be presented to the IOC for a final vote in September.
“I don’t have a vote, but I would at least like to go to the presentation,” Yoshida, who won gold at the last three Summer Olympics, told the AP. “The only thing I can do is pray that wrestling stays in.”
Nov 25, 2014, 1:19 PM EST
Neither has competed since the London Olympics.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:46 AM EST
Scheduling conflicts, another new event?
Nov 25, 2014, 9:27 AM EST
Christ the Redeemer, Olympic motto honored on the coins.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 PM EST
Phelps is working toward 2015 goals, a North Baltimore official said.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:52 PM EST
An MRI and bone scan showed no structural damage.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EST
Canada won its first men’s hockey Olympic gold in 50 years under Quinn.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:11 AM EST
Olympic champion Shields was named the tournament’s best overall boxer.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:17 AM EST
Tikhonov led the Soviets in the Miracle on Ice game.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:42 AM EST
Sun tested positive for a substance he could have used legally if he filed paperwork with anti-doping officials.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EST
Public vote to name the mascots.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:38 PM EST
Video of how he suffered the injury was posted on Ligety’s social media.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
It’s unlikely a U.S. man will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:05 AM EST
“i just don’t want to puke,” Wagner said.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
This year’s winners came from unprecedented nations and events.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:24 PM EST
Wagner could match a Michelle Kwan feat at the French event.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:59 AM EST
“Unbroken” film about Olympian and World War II hero comes out on Christmas.
Nov 20, 2014, 5:34 PM EST
Young Dmitry Melnichenko lost the match, then lost his cool.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 PM EST
Olympic ski slopestyle champion uses a chainsaw every day.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Vito thought he had what it took to make the Olympic team, but judges didn’t see it the same way.
Nov 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Olympic champion could face the only woman who beat her in the quarterfinals.
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)