Mar 6, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
Three-time Olympic wrestling champs Saori Yoshida and Kaori Icho of Japan greeted the IOC evaluation commission Wednesday in Tokyo as the city is scouted and scrutinized for its potential as the 2020 Olympics host.
The two women hope to bring the Games to their hometown for the first time since 1964, and also hope their sport – Japan’s third most popular – will still exist as part of the Olympics program when those Games roll around in seven years time.
They met the commission at the Tokyo Bay complex where fencing, taekwondo, and, if they get their way, wrestling, would take place in 2020.
Wrestling was recommended for removal last month by the IOC executive committee, but the international wrestling federation is prepping a presentation before the committee votes in May that will determine which sports will be presented to the IOC for a final vote in September.
“I don’t have a vote, but I would at least like to go to the presentation,” Yoshida, who won gold at the last three Summer Olympics, told the AP. “The only thing I can do is pray that wrestling stays in.”
Aug 30, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
The Nigerian team is led by an NBA veteran.
Aug 30, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
It can’t become official until later this week.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
“I’m going to cut the goat … and drink the blood.”
Aug 29, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Jamaica swept the relays.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
Eaton was competing in his first decathlon in more than two years and wore a cooling hood.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
“That feeling of wanting to crawl out of your skin.”
Aug 28, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
“No chance for rematch,” a meet director said.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:13 AM EDT
Davis, the second youngest U.S. Olympic basketball player ever in 2012, played the fewest minutes for Team USA at the London Games.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Jenner explains why the medal isn’t displayed.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:39 AM EDT
Ashton Eaton clocks a decathlon world record. The third fastest woman ever in the 200m. The U.S. was shut out of the medals in its best event.
Aug 28, 2015, 7:25 AM EDT
A CCTV cameraman presented Bolt with a red bracelet.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Bolt previously said he would retire after the 2017 World Championships.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:53 AM EDT
“The rumor I’m trying to start right now is that Justin Gatlin paid him off.”
Aug 27, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Also, Allyson Felix broke a U.S. record for World Championships medals.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
Felix could try to race two individual events at the Rio Olympics.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:48 AM EDT
Justin Gatlin got the best of Usain Bolt in their only race before Gatlin’s doping ban.
Aug 27, 2015, 6:51 AM EDT
Pistorius could be out of prison in weeks.
Aug 26, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
The first female Olympic ski jumper reinjured her right knee.
Aug 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Wylie went into sudden cardiac arrest on April 21 and was in a medically induced coma for two days.
Aug 26, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
The Opening Ceremony conflicts with a PGA Tour event.
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 0
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 5
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 2
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 5
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)