Mar 6, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
Well Boston, those Olympic dreams were fun while they lasted. But now: back to reality.
A private group calling themselves the Boston Olympic Exploratory Committee has been showing interest in bringing the Games to New England when the USOC bids for the 2024 Olympics, and even met with City Hall officials Monday in order to iron out some of the details.
That idea has now been panned as a “far-fetched” multi-billion dollar waste of time by local leaders, according to the Boston Herald.
“We’re coming out of the greatest economic recession and I don’t think our resources should be diluted by going after something so far out,” said CEO John Fish, a top supporter of Mayor Menino who Boston Magazine named the city’s most powerful person last year. “If someone wanted to pour $1 billion into our health care or education system or the life sciences industry, I’d be all for that discussion.”
On top of that glowing endorsement, a city spokesman is trying to distance the mayor from a possible bid, saying that the BOEC’s meeting with the Office of Travel Tourism is insignificant: “The city meets with thousands of people every day that have ideas and some work out and some don’t.”
Ouch. Still, BOEC leader Eric Reddy, 31, isn’t tossing in the towel just yet. He said he wasn’t looking for a “yes or no” this early on in the process and will continue to explore the idea. Good luck, Boston.
When does the Red Sox season start?
- South Korean Olympic swim champ Park Tae-hwan fails drug test 0
- Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title 2
- Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video) 0
- Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title 3
- Chloe Kim wins Winter X Games halfpipe at age 14 0
- Lindsey Vonn struggles in St. Moritz downhill (video) 0
- Jason Brown leads U.S. short program; quad debate stoked 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)