Mar 6, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Well Boston, those Olympic dreams were fun while they lasted. But now: back to reality.
A private group calling themselves the Boston Olympic Exploratory Committee has been showing interest in bringing the Games to New England when the USOC bids for the 2024 Olympics, and even met with City Hall officials Monday in order to iron out some of the details.
That idea has now been panned as a “far-fetched” multi-billion dollar waste of time by local leaders, according to the Boston Herald.
“We’re coming out of the greatest economic recession and I don’t think our resources should be diluted by going after something so far out,” said CEO John Fish, a top supporter of Mayor Menino who Boston Magazine named the city’s most powerful person last year. “If someone wanted to pour $1 billion into our health care or education system or the life sciences industry, I’d be all for that discussion.”
On top of that glowing endorsement, a city spokesman is trying to distance the mayor from a possible bid, saying that the BOEC’s meeting with the Office of Travel Tourism is insignificant: “The city meets with thousands of people every day that have ideas and some work out and some don’t.”
Ouch. Still, BOEC leader Eric Reddy, 31, isn’t tossing in the towel just yet. He said he wasn’t looking for a “yes or no” this early on in the process and will continue to explore the idea. Good luck, Boston.
When does the Red Sox season start?
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 0
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 5
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 2
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)