Mar 5, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Six American Olympians are finalists for the AAU’s 83rd James E. Sullivan award, which honors the nation’s top amateur athlete of each year.
Gold medalists Missy Franklin, David Boudia, Clareesa Shields, Gabby Douglas, Maggie Steffens, and Jordan Burroughs are going against nine other amateurs for the prestigious award, which focuses on “leadership, character, sportsmanship, and the ideals of amateurism,” according to the AAU website.
Previous Olympic winners of the James E. Sullivan include gold medalists Michael Phelps, Evan Lysacek, Shawn Johnson, Sarah Hughes, Rulon Gardner, Michael Johnson, and Carl Lewis. You can vote for the athlete you think best exemplifies the above qualities here – or, really, just vote for your favorite of the group. I’m keeping mine a secret.
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement