Mar 5, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Six American Olympians are finalists for the AAU’s 83rd James E. Sullivan award, which honors the nation’s top amateur athlete of each year.
Gold medalists Missy Franklin, David Boudia, Clareesa Shields, Gabby Douglas, Maggie Steffens, and Jordan Burroughs are going against nine other amateurs for the prestigious award, which focuses on “leadership, character, sportsmanship, and the ideals of amateurism,” according to the AAU website.
Previous Olympic winners of the James E. Sullivan include gold medalists Michael Phelps, Evan Lysacek, Shawn Johnson, Sarah Hughes, Rulon Gardner, Michael Johnson, and Carl Lewis. You can vote for the athlete you think best exemplifies the above qualities here – or, really, just vote for your favorite of the group. I’m keeping mine a secret.
- WATCH LIVE: Sochi Paralympic Opening Ceremony 0
- Oscar Pistorius said ‘everything is fine’ to security calling about gunshot reports (video) 0
- Ukraine may leave Sochi Paralympics if situation escalates 0
- Five Paralympic storylines to watch in Sochi 2
- Mikaela Shiffrin takes 15th in first post-Olympic race 1
- Oscar Pistorius tried to revive girlfriend after shooting, witness recounts (video) 2
- Shannon Szabados: Oilers welcomed me with open arms (video) 1