Mar 5, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Of the 35 cities that received the IOC’s letter asking if they’d be interested in hosting the 2024 Olympics, most assume it’s down to New York and Los Angeles, and maybe Dallas, now that Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said his city isn’t interested after losing out on the 2016 Games.
But a private group calling themselves the Boston Olympic Exploratory Committee is showing significant interest in hosting the Olympics, and even met with City Hall officials Monday. Now they’re seeking support from Mayor Thomas M. Menino before to moving forward.
“What we want is a green light to pursue this for, say, five months, and see how far we get,” committee chairman Eric Reddy told the Boston Globe. “We would form a [non-profit organization] and begin to seek donations.”
Reddy said the group, which is meeting again Tuesday, is keeping a low profile for now while they work out the initial kinks. They’re evaluating whether the city can support the necessary infrastructure improvements needed before the Games come to town, estimated at tens of billions of dollars.
“This is a legitimately crazy idea I’m presenting,” Reddy explained. “But someone is going to win this, and Boston has a lot to offer.”
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)