Mar 4, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Davos and St. Moritz, Switzerland were the early favorites to host the 2022 Winter Olympics, but their collective bid has been dropped after Swiss citizens voted Sunday against millions in funding to put towards the bidding process.
The referendum actually passed in the Davos and St. Moritz proper, earning 56.2 and 61 percent support respectively, as citizens were eager to have the Olympics return to their resort towns for a record third time, and first since 1948.
But their nearby neighbors shot down the bid due to concerns over the financial cost, and it ultimately failed with 52.66 voting against putting their name in the 2022 hat. The same type of vote actually kept Bern, Switzerland from bidding for the 2010 Games.
Switzerland’s exit from consideration, coupled with the fact that the U.S. is saving its efforts for a 2024 bid, opens the doors for a number of cities which were thought to have a less than stellar shot, including Oslo, Barcelona, Munich, and Krakow, Poland in cooperation with Slovakia.
Munich, which finished second to Pyeongchang, South Korea to host the 2018 Games, would seemingly jump to the top of the list of favorites for 2022. The other cities have plenty of time to strategize, however, since the IOC won’t actually vote on which city wins the bid until August 2015.
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 0
- David Letterman and the Olympics 0
- Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy 0
- Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction 1
- Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet 1
- Michael Phelps self-assessment: ‘horrendous,’ ‘garbage’ after winless Charlotte meet 5
- Mao Asada blogs about returning to figure skating 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)