Feb 25, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
Swimming legend Michael Phelps was on Dan Patrick’s radio show Monday morning to chat about his retirement from swimming, his reality TV debut, and what he would give to be a better golfer.
“Would you give up a bronze medal to shoot 75?” Patrick asked.
“I’d give up a bronze medal to break 70,” Phelps replied, admitting he just recently broke 90. “I’ve worked too hard for the gold. Obviously I worked hard for the bronze, but didn’t work hard enough to deserve the gold… All the gold ones are in the case still, and are never brought out. The bronze are kind of just sitting in my secret place.”
Phelps also said he was recently in the pool, but doesn’t seem to be training for Rio.
“I kind of use the pool as my getaway place. You know, somewhere were I can go where I can be left alone; not answering a question or doing this or doing that… Kind of like an escape route.”
Phelps will appear on the Golf Channel’s Hank Haney Project this season, which premieres Monday night at 9pm est. He’ll work with Tiger Woods’s old swing coach in his attempt to transition from being history’s best swimmer to a pretty good golfer.
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins her first World Cup giant slalom in Soelden tie 0
- Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 1
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 4
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)