Feb 25, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
Swimming legend Michael Phelps was on Dan Patrick’s radio show Monday morning to chat about his retirement from swimming, his reality TV debut, and what he would give to be a better golfer.
“Would you give up a bronze medal to shoot 75?” Patrick asked.
“I’d give up a bronze medal to break 70,” Phelps replied, admitting he just recently broke 90. “I’ve worked too hard for the gold. Obviously I worked hard for the bronze, but didn’t work hard enough to deserve the gold… All the gold ones are in the case still, and are never brought out. The bronze are kind of just sitting in my secret place.”
Phelps also said he was recently in the pool, but doesn’t seem to be training for Rio.
“I kind of use the pool as my getaway place. You know, somewhere were I can go where I can be left alone; not answering a question or doing this or doing that… Kind of like an escape route.”
Phelps will appear on the Golf Channel’s Hank Haney Project this season, which premieres Monday night at 9pm est. He’ll work with Tiger Woods’s old swing coach in his attempt to transition from being history’s best swimmer to a pretty good golfer.
- Rio 2016 Olympics day-by-day events to watch 0
- A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks 1
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 1
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)