Feb 25, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
Swimming legend Michael Phelps was on Dan Patrick’s radio show Monday morning to chat about his retirement from swimming, his reality TV debut, and what he would give to be a better golfer.
“Would you give up a bronze medal to shoot 75?” Patrick asked.
“I’d give up a bronze medal to break 70,” Phelps replied, admitting he just recently broke 90. “I’ve worked too hard for the gold. Obviously I worked hard for the bronze, but didn’t work hard enough to deserve the gold… All the gold ones are in the case still, and are never brought out. The bronze are kind of just sitting in my secret place.”
Phelps also said he was recently in the pool, but doesn’t seem to be training for Rio.
“I kind of use the pool as my getaway place. You know, somewhere were I can go where I can be left alone; not answering a question or doing this or doing that… Kind of like an escape route.”
Phelps will appear on the Golf Channel’s Hank Haney Project this season, which premieres Monday night at 9pm est. He’ll work with Tiger Woods’s old swing coach in his attempt to transition from being history’s best swimmer to a pretty good golfer.
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 1
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 0
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- U.S. goes medal-less at World Championships; Bolt, Gatlin, Felix advance 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)