Feb 25, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
There are still nine races to go in the women’s Alpine season, but Slovenian Tina Maze has already won the World Cup title and is now aiming to have the best season in the sport’s history.
Maze wrapped up her first championship by winning the super-combined race in France Monday, clocking a total time of 1:59.54 for her record-tying eighteenth podium finish of the year.
“It’s really special, because it’s so difficult to win. For me it’s special to continue this level of skiing,” Maze said. “To be on the top is amazing. It’s a great season for me. Even if there have been ups and downs I have always come back.”
The two-time Olympic silver medalist topped the 1,800 point mark with her win Monday to put her 958 points up on her closest competitor. Next up, Hermann Maier’s 2000 point season record that she’s likely to beat in a couple week’s time, and smash by the end of the year.
May 21, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Skaters, skiers, gymnasts, track and field athletes and more.
May 21, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT
Russia ceded its place as top challenger to the U.S. in recent Olympics.
May 20, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
They were a gift from a previous Olympic host city.
May 20, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
Usain Bolt dropped on the list and is no longer the top track and field athlete.
May 20, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Markus Rehm jumped another personal best on Saturday, moving up the list of top active jumpers.
May 20, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
Letterman had a special correspondent at the 1994 and 1998 Winter Olympics.
May 20, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
The Olympic silver medalist has been off the elite competition radar for nearly two years.
May 20, 2015, 11:56 AM EDT
The World champion explained the origin of her design.
May 20, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Gatlin’s agent also called the sprinter “misunderstood.”
May 20, 2015, 8:21 AM EDT
A stopwatch used to time Bannister’s feat was also recently auctioned.
May 19, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT
Seebohm took silver behind Franklin in 2012 and 2013 but was faster last year.
May 19, 2015, 7:47 AM EDT
“They didn’t have any respect for me.”
May 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The 22-time Olympic medalist finished first or second in zero events at a meet for the first time since the Sydney 2000 Olympics.
May 18, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
David Boudia leads the team, while a four-time Olympian just missed.
May 18, 2015, 7:18 AM EDT
The three-time World champion is training again but isn’t definite on competing.
May 17, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Canada is grouped with South Korea in what could be a rout in preliminary play.
May 17, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby joined an elite club with another career accolade.
May 17, 2015, 1:37 PM EDT
It can qualify for the Olympics next month.
May 17, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby vs. Alex Ovechkin for gold.
May 17, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
The U.S. fared better than it did at the 2014 Olympics, despite bringing back just one player from Sochi.
- David Letterman and the Olympics 0
- Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy 0
- Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction 1
- Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet 1
- Michael Phelps self-assessment: ‘horrendous,’ ‘garbage’ after winless Charlotte meet 5
- Mao Asada blogs about returning to figure skating 2
- U.S. grouped with Russia in 2018 Winter Olympic men’s hockey tournament 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)