Feb 21, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
OlympicTalk has rarely received such passionate responses – or seen as many exclamation points – as it did when we asked “Which city would YOU want to see host the Summer Games?” after the USOC sent letters to 35 mayors asking if they’d be interested in bidding for the 2024 Olympics.
Most of you voted on cities from the initial list of (seen here) but fans from all over the country were championing their own hometowns, from Honolulu, to Boise, to Fargo, N.D. and Crawfordville, Fla. (which we admittedly had to look up).
But there are really no surprises in the top responses from more than 800 votes in our unofficial Facebook poll:
2. New York City
5. Los Angeles
We know why Chicago would be a great Olympic city, but Mayor Rahm Emmanuel said they aren’t interested after losing out to Rio for the 2016 Games. The people seem to disagree.
Other top options included Detroit, Portland, Houston, and Indianapolis. Of course, being an Arizona native, I agree with Phillip from Peoria: “If you really want to make the Summer Olympics interesting, bring it to Phoenix!” So why does your city deserve to host the 2024 Olympics?
Oct 31, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Ledecky, and other women, are entered in mixed-gender distance races in Delaware.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
The top U.S. man on Friday finished 10th at the U.S. Championships in January.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
The Kenyan won four straight World Marathon Majors.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Bayern Munich soccer player won by a single point.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Russian media reports vary on his health.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
Norway and Sweden both withdrew 2022 Olympic bids.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
But Neymar’s status for Rio 2016 is still very much in question.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Keflezighi faces tough odds to win Sunday, just as in Boston.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
The U.S. roster includes zero men who had the fastest time in the world this year in an Olympic event.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT
Figure skating champion joins MLB outfielder, ballerina.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
Anderson is the two-time reigning USA Volleyball Player of the Year.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
The 2018 World Championships were already awarded.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Tennis player flew from Singapore to Denmark to New York this week.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Rising black smoke caused brief panic, but the fire was quickly put out.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Bruno Grandi was at the helm for a judging overhaul.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
One of the U.S.’ strongest skaters from last season is not on the team.
Oct 28, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Sundquist was a partially eaten gingerbread man, a leg lamp and a flamingo in recent years.
Oct 28, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Either Berlin or Hamburg will be chosen in March.
Oct 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Those against Boston hosting an Olympics sent a letter to the USOC.
Oct 28, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
Judge rules in lawsuit over environmental concerns.
- Boston, Chicago Marathon winner Rita Jeptoo fails drug test 0
- Neymar will be on Brazil’s Olympic soccer team, coach says 0
- Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog 0
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)