Feb 21, 2013, 2:37 PM EST
OlympicTalk has rarely received such passionate responses – or seen as many exclamation points – as it did when we asked “Which city would YOU want to see host the Summer Games?” after the USOC sent letters to 35 mayors asking if they’d be interested in bidding for the 2024 Olympics.
Most of you voted on cities from the initial list of (seen here) but fans from all over the country were championing their own hometowns, from Honolulu, to Boise, to Fargo, N.D. and Crawfordville, Fla. (which we admittedly had to look up).
But there are really no surprises in the top responses from more than 800 votes in our unofficial Facebook poll:
2. New York City
5. Los Angeles
We know why Chicago would be a great Olympic city, but Mayor Rahm Emmanuel said they aren’t interested after losing out to Rio for the 2016 Games. The people seem to disagree.
Other top options included Detroit, Portland, Houston, and Indianapolis. Of course, being an Arizona native, I agree with Phillip from Peoria: “If you really want to make the Summer Olympics interesting, bring it to Phoenix!” So why does your city deserve to host the 2024 Olympics?
Jan 30, 2015, 4:53 PM EST
NBC’s figure skating analysts will be part of Super Bowl XLIX pregame coverage starting at noon ET on Sunday.
Jan 30, 2015, 4:12 PM EST
Rupp will compete in the Armory Track Invitational on NBCSN on Saturday.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Tatyana Chernova beat Jessica Ennis at the 2011 World Championships.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:32 AM EST
The ban would rule Jeptoo out of the Rio Olympics.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:41 PM EST
Five women to watch, plus the schedule of events.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:37 PM EST
How to watch Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin and more go for gold in Colorado.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:32 AM EST
The relay will start in May 2016.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:23 PM EST
“I only did it to send a message,” shoveler said.
Jan 28, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
An Olympic legend helped convince him to come back, possibly for the 2018 Olympics.
Jan 27, 2015, 4:14 PM EST
Bowie may try to make the World Championships team in three individual events.
Jan 27, 2015, 2:37 PM EST
Once Usain Bolt’s top rival, the Jamaican is returning from a second major injury in as many years.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:41 PM EST
Armstrong touched on many topics in a BBC interview.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:58 AM EST
Could Hingis return to Olympic tennis, 20 years after her only Olympic appearance?
Jan 26, 2015, 8:41 AM EST
Park’s management agency cited “an illegal injection administered by a local doctor.”
Jan 25, 2015, 9:48 PM EST
Brown is the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
Instead, past Winter X Games champions prevailed in Aspen.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Jason Brown tries to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
An inside look at the skier’s comeback from two major knee surgeries.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 AM EST
Vonn captured victory No. 64 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:50 PM EST
Wagner becomes the oldest women’s champion since Michelle Kwan.
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video) 0
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)