Feb 21, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
Nike suspended its contract with Oscar Pistorius after he was charged with premeditated murder in a Pretoria, South Africa court Monday for shooting and killing his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.
“We believe Oscar Pistorius should be afforded due process and we will continue to monitor the situation closely,” Nike wrote in a brief statement.
Pistorius, who is famous for becoming the first double-amputee to compete at the Olympics, also saw his Oakley sponsorship suspended on Monday after his appearance in court.
In total, the sprinter’s sponsorships, which also include Thierry Mugler and the running blade manufacturer Ossur, are worth upwards of $5 million.
- Tatyana McFadden claims surprise Paralympic silver medal 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ bathroom door, cricket bat appear at murder trial 1
- Maria Hoefl-Riesch crashes in World Cup Finals downhill 0
- Ted Ligety stuns in World Cup Finals downhill; new overall leader 0
- Alpine Skiing World Cup Finals preview 0
- President Obama sends beer to Canadian prime minister to settle Olympic bet 2
- Boston Marathon announces increased security 0