Feb 21, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
Nike suspended its contract with Oscar Pistorius after he was charged with premeditated murder in a Pretoria, South Africa court Monday for shooting and killing his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.
“We believe Oscar Pistorius should be afforded due process and we will continue to monitor the situation closely,” Nike wrote in a brief statement.
Pistorius, who is famous for becoming the first double-amputee to compete at the Olympics, also saw his Oakley sponsorship suspended on Monday after his appearance in court.
In total, the sprinter’s sponsorships, which also include Thierry Mugler and the running blade manufacturer Ossur, are worth upwards of $5 million.
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights