Feb 20, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
While everyone you’ve ever met is upset about wrestling being ousted from the 2020 Olympics Schedule, and the sport’s governing body is going through the painstaking process of attempting to get it reinstated through two IOC votes, squash is the little engine that’s making a strong argument to take wrestling’s spot in the Games.
The World Squash Federation already released its bid video starring world champs Nicol David and Ramy Ashour explaining why squash deserves its chance in the Olympics, and now it’s hoping to continue the worldwide viral campaign on Twitter with the #Vote4Squash hashtag.
“The next few months are crucial to our bid and using social media to demonstrate the huge passion there is for Squash to become part of the Olympic Games is important as we head towards our presentation to the IOC Executive Board in May,” WSF President N. Ramachandran told Around the Rings.
The hashtag has been trending in nations where the sport is popular, like Malaysia, the UK, and Egypt, and tennis star and Olympian Roger Federer is showing his support for his brothers and sister of the racquet by holding up a “Back the Bid” sign on which he’s written, “I am, are you?”
“This is a great initiative and there is a real buzz among all the players competing on the Tours about our Olympic bid,” current world No. 2 Nick Matthew added. “We want to demonstrate to the IOC the global popularity and reach of Squash and I’m sure this online call to action will help to do this.”
Squash will face off against wrestling, karate, wushu, sport climbing, roller sports, and baseball/softball in an IOC executive board vote this may in St. Petersburgh to determine which sports will be brought to a final vote when all the IOC members are on hand for a meeting this September in Buenos Aires.
We dare you not to enjoy this video:
- Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charges 2
- Lauryn Williams ‘playing with the idea’ of bobsled this season 0
- Lindsey Vonn set for first skiing in 10 months, named 2016 Youth Olympics ambassador 0
- Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon 2
- Dennis Kimetto breaks world record at Berlin Marathon (video) 0
- IOC adds anti-discrimination clause to Olympic host city contract 0
- Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky lead Golden Goggles nominees 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)