Feb 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
The well-regarded City Press, citing sources close to the investigation, is reporting that police officers found the bat in Pistorius’s bedroom after being called to his house Thursday morning to investigate the murder of Pistorius’s girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp.
“There was lots of blood on the bat. Forensic tests will show whose blood it was,” said a source the paper claimed had inside knowledge of the case, but police are suggesting this information didn’t come from them.
The City Press also reports that Steenkamp’s skull was crushed and that Pistorius carried her downstairs to his foyer, where paramedics tended to her before she died last Thursday.
“Steenkamp was still breathing and Pistorius tried to resuscitate her in the foyer,” the report continued. “Paramedics and police arrived on the scene and, minutes later, she was declared dead.
“Steenkamp was wearing her nightie at the time. When the police inspected Oscar’s bedroom, they found her overnight bag and iPad on the floor. A holster for a 9mm pistol was found on Oscar’s side of the bed.”
Lastly, the paper alleges that Pistorius called a family member Thursday morning, but not the cops, who were alerted to the scene by the sprinter’s neighbor.
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 3
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)