Feb 14, 2013, 7:07 AM EDT
A woman was found fatally shot at the home of South African Olympian and Paralympian Oscar Pistorius Thursday. AP and Reuters report that the famous athlete known as “Blade Runner” has been taken in to custody and charged with murder.
Model Reeva Steenkamp, a woman believed to be Pistorius’s girlfriend, was found dead at the athlete’s home in Pretoria, South Africa Thursday morning. Reports are that she was shot in the head and arm and may have been mistaken for a burglar. There are no other suspects in the case.
“We can confirm a 26-year-old man has been taken into custody following a complaint by a neighbor that there was a shooting at the home of Oscar Pistorius,” a police spokesman told NBC News. “He is being charged with murder and he will appear in the Pretoria regional court later this afternoon.”
Pistorius, a six-time Paralympic gold medalist, became the first double-amputee to compete in the Olympics when he ran the 400m this summer in London, reaching the semifinals in that event.
- Vitaly Scherbo weighs in on Kohei Uchimura 0
- Meb Keflezighi eighth after stopping, throwing up, crying at Boston Marathon 1
- Usain Bolt runs his slowest 100m final ever; Brazil TV simulates Bolt’s dream 100m race 2
- Katie Ledecky eyes daunting double at World Championships 0
- Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte split duels in Mesa 0
- Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat? 0
- Michael Phelps jokingly challenges Katie Ledecky to race 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)