Feb 14, 2013, 7:07 AM EST
A woman was found fatally shot at the home of South African Olympian and Paralympian Oscar Pistorius Thursday. AP and Reuters report that the famous athlete known as “Blade Runner” has been taken in to custody and charged with murder.
Model Reeva Steenkamp, a woman believed to be Pistorius’s girlfriend, was found dead at the athlete’s home in Pretoria, South Africa Thursday morning. Reports are that she was shot in the head and arm and may have been mistaken for a burglar. There are no other suspects in the case.
“We can confirm a 26-year-old man has been taken into custody following a complaint by a neighbor that there was a shooting at the home of Oscar Pistorius,” a police spokesman told NBC News. “He is being charged with murder and he will appear in the Pretoria regional court later this afternoon.”
Pistorius, a six-time Paralympic gold medalist, became the first double-amputee to compete in the Olympics when he ran the 400m this summer in London, reaching the semifinals in that event.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)