Feb 12, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
The only thing more shocking than the IOC’s recommendation to eliminate wrestling from the Olympics is that the vote wasn’t all that close. Wrestling earned the most votes in every round.
Of course, in this instance votes were a bad thing as fourteen members of the IOC executive board convened in Switzerland Tuesday to choose which sport they thought should be dropped after scrutinizing 39 criteria including ticket sales, anti-doping policies, and worldwide popularity.
“It was up to the executive Board members to make a decision, it was not black and white and it was not an easy decision,” said IOC spokesman Mark Adams. “But we wanted to allow room for the renewal of the Olympic program.”
Here’s a quick breakdown of this morning’s IOC vote, round by round, according to Inside the Games:
Modern Pent: 5
Field Hockey: 2
Modern Pent: 4
Field Hockey: 1
Field Hockey: 6
Modern Pent: 5
Field Hockey: 3
Modern Pent: 3
Field Hockey: 3
Apr 24, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Phelps was swimming competitively for the first time since the London Olympics.
Apr 24, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT
Jones explains difficulty of returning to track workouts.
Apr 24, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Phelps is swimming competitively for the first time since the London Olympics.
Apr 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Olympic bronze medalist explains what President Obama told her about luge.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT
2012 Olympic alternate announces college plans.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Boston Marathon winner met Derek Jeter, David Ortiz.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
Lochte said he almost didn’t come back to swimming after knee injury.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Phelps says he gained 30 pounds in retirement but has shed most of it in training.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Phelps’ contract with Speedo ran out at the end of 2013 after a 12-year run.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Michael Andrew, 15, turned pro last year and has been drawing comparisons to Michael Phelps.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
When to watch Michael Phelps’ return to competition.
Apr 22, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
How Keflezighi spent the morning after his upset victory.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Americans’ tactic played small role in Keflezighi’s victory.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Sochi figure skating analysts will be fashion experts at Churchill Downs.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
Ohno follows NFL wide receiver, celebrity chef in ambitious attempt.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:21 AM EDT
Johan Bruyneel guided Lance Armstrong’s teams for all seven stripped Tour de France wins.
Apr 21, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
“I needed it for healing,” one survivor said.
Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
First U.S. man to win Boston Marathon since 1983.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
Meb Keflezighi made history on an emotional day at the 2014 Boston Marathon by becoming the first American man to win the race since 1983. Watch highlights of the 38-year-old Keflezighi’s victory here, courtesy of Universal Sports: Keflezighi reacts to his historic win and the emotion of winning one year after the Boston Marathon bombing,…
Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Shalane Flanagan led early but was dropped around 21 miles.
- Michael Phelps beaten by Ryan Lochte in first final of comeback 0
- Lolo Jones sheds weight, returns to track at Drake Relays 0
- Michael Phelps wins his first preliminary race since London Olympics 0
- Michael Phelps ready to start ‘journey’ in comeback meet 0
- Another Michael set to make splash at Mesa Grand Prix 0
- Michael Phelps’ comeback at Mesa Grand Prix competition, broadcast schedules 0
- Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)