Feb 11, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
Ted Ligety followed up his surprising super-G victory at the world championships in Schladming, Austria last week with another world title Monday, taking gold in the combined with a time of 2:56.96 to hold off Croatia’s Ivica Kostelic by 1.15 seconds.
Ligety, 28, was in sixth after the downhill leg of the event, 0.72 seconds behind Romed Baumann of Austria, but Ligety used his knowledge of a familiar slalom course to his advantage and earned his second world title of the week.
“It’s really a testament to my downhill this morning. It was awesome,” Ligety said. “I knew I didn’t have to push super hard in the slalom.”
Ligety is the first man to win two titles at the same world championships since 2013 downhill world champ Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway won both the downhill and giant slalom in 2007, and the first American to pull off the feat since Bode Miller did it with victories in downhill and super-G back in 2005.
Oh, and Ligety still has the giant slalom left this Friday, the discipline where he’s won four of the five World Cup races this season, three of the last five world cup championships, and the 2011 world title.
- Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte miss medals; Katie Ledecky breaks record at Worlds 1
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)