Feb 11, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
Modern pentathlon is on the Olympic chopping block this week in Lausanne, Switzerland as the IOC meets to suggest which sport to eliminate from the Games to make way for something new.
The IOC members will gather to review reports of all the sports contested in London. They’ll scrutinize TV ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping measure, general worldwide popularity, and about thirty other pieces of criteria before voting.
Modern pentathlon, which combines five disciplines necessary to be a nineteenth century cavalry soldier, is considered outdated and likely to go, but the governing body’s President Klaus Schormann argued Monday that the Olympics will always need its history.
“You cannot just say we look only at the future,” he told the Associated Press. “You can have a future when you are stable on the basic part of history. We are continuing to develop, to renovate, to be innovative and creative. We are very proud of what we achieved so far and want to deliver this as well for the next generations in 2020.”
Taekwondo is also being considered for removal from the schedule, which might make karate, a Japanese martial art, the popular choice to be added to the Games if Tokyo wins the 2020 bid.
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)