Feb 11, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
Modern pentathlon is on the Olympic chopping block this week in Lausanne, Switzerland as the IOC meets to suggest which sport to eliminate from the Games to make way for something new.
The IOC members will gather to review reports of all the sports contested in London. They’ll scrutinize TV ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping measure, general worldwide popularity, and about thirty other pieces of criteria before voting.
Modern pentathlon, which combines five disciplines necessary to be a nineteenth century cavalry soldier, is considered outdated and likely to go, but the governing body’s President Klaus Schormann argued Monday that the Olympics will always need its history.
“You cannot just say we look only at the future,” he told the Associated Press. “You can have a future when you are stable on the basic part of history. We are continuing to develop, to renovate, to be innovative and creative. We are very proud of what we achieved so far and want to deliver this as well for the next generations in 2020.”
Taekwondo is also being considered for removal from the schedule, which might make karate, a Japanese martial art, the popular choice to be added to the Games if Tokyo wins the 2020 bid.
- World Marathon Majors postpones award ceremony due to Rita Jeptoo positive drug test report 0
- Neymar will be on Brazil’s Olympic soccer team, coach says 0
- Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog 0
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)