Feb 5, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
Vancouver gold medalist Lindsey Vonn suffered a serious knee injury Tuesday during a crash at the super-G World Championships in Austria.
But the good news – if there can be any – is that the U.S. team expects her to be fully recovered in time for the next World Cup season, and for the Sochi Olympics, which kick off one year from Thursday.
Vonn lost her balance on a hard landing that ripped her left ski off and sent her tumbling down the mountain. She tore her ACL and MCL and suffered a lateral tibial plateau fracture – a breaking of the shin bone just below the knee that limits stablility and motion – all in her right knee.
Vonn could be heard screaming in pain after sliding to stop just off the course. Top rival Tina Maze of Slovenia, who eventually won the race, stood shocked, mouth open, as she watched the incident from the bottom of the hill, adding later that she felt “really sorry for Lindsey, who took a too direct line.”
Vonn said in an article written for the Denver Post on Monday that the weather conditions didn’t allow her or her team to check out the course. The race was also delayed for more than three hours because of fog and visibility conditions, which the International Ski Federation deemed an “extreme situation.”
See the crash here:
Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT
May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.
Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships
Aug 3, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Lochte posted his best time since the London Olympics.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
“It did feel pretty easy.”
Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
They could make history in Rio de Janeiro.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT
Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
It wants to make a decision by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Key swimmers and events to watch.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:12 AM EDT
Beijing beat Almaty, Kazakhstan, in a very close IOC vote.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT
Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.
Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 1
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)