Feb 1, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT
Torino figure skating champ Yevgeny Plushenko underwent back surgery Thursday in Tel Aviv, and actually had a deteriorated spinal disc removed and replaced with a synthetic one.
“The doctor who performed the operation said it was a success,” Plushenko’s coach Alexei Mishin told Reuters. “It’s too early to make any prognosis about his return to the ice… Looking back we all say he should have done something else but it’s too late now. The disc was in such a bad condition.”
Plushenko, 30, effectively retired after winning his third Olympic medal in 2010, but returned to win his tenth national championship last month despite being sidelined for a year with a knee surgery and back issues. Now he hopes this surgery will help him make one final push toward winning a fourth career medal at his country’s first Winter Olympics.
“He should get a new lease of life and hopefully will come back stronger than he was last year,” Mishin added. “I know he has his mind set on competing at the Sochi Olympics and I’m sure he’ll do whatever it takes to be there in good shape and in good health.”
Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
Comoros, British Virgin Islands, Romania join together in track and field finale.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Olympic ice dancing silver medalist tries out non-Olympic sports.
Aug 26, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
German, British, Dutch dressage teams win medals at World Equestrian Games.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Americans complete dominating 13-game run.
Aug 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Le Clos won five medals at the 2010 Youth Olympics before shocking the most decorated Olympian ever in London.
Aug 25, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Even his coach doubted him, but Jonathan Horton made good on a December vow.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Mixed-gender, mixed-team relay will include athletes from all track and field events.
Aug 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Men prevailed in the 200m and 800m.
Aug 25, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Filipino gymnast was separated from Singapore shooter at age 3.
Aug 24, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
“This was his toughest climb,” his coach said.
Aug 24, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Two-time Olympic medalist left off.
Aug 24, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
Mo Farah breaks a European record; Allyson Felix fails to make 100m final.
Aug 24, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Bolt has his slowest season since 2007.
Aug 24, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT
Ledecky faster in 1500m free at 17 than Ryan Lochte was at 19 in 2004.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
The World all-around champion fell on balance beam and still won easily.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:58 PM EDT
Finals at 5 a.m. ET on Sunday.
Aug 23, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
Poland’s Ewa Nikola Swoboda “appeared to tumble forward before the gun went off.”
Aug 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
Chinese martial arts-derived sport joins others seeking Olympic inclusion.
Aug 23, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
Mo Farah, Allyson Felix, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce in action.
Aug 23, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Bolt bettered his only other 100m this year.
- Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return 0
- Sam Mikulak rallies for repeat P&G Championships title (video) 0
- Usain Bolt ends his season 1
- Katie Ledecky smashes another world record at Pan Pacs 4
- Simone Biles awes judges, U.S. legend to repeat at P&G Championships 0
- Usain Bolt wins 100m in Warsaw after Humvee entrance 1
- Katie Ledecky breaks world record, Michael Phelps wins at Pan Pacs 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)