Feb 1, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
After two years away from the her sport, skeleton racer Noelle Pikus-Pace is officially back after finishing second at worlds in St. Moritz Friday.
“What a great day,” the 2007 world champ said after her final run. “I felt so much better today and I am excited to be on the medal stand. This has already been such an amazing year.”
Pikus-Pace, who finished fourth at the 2010 Games, announced her desire to comeback to the sport last summer. She has already finished on the podium four times during the World Cup season, and helped the U.S. win gold in the team event earlier this week. But her silver in the individual race was what she need to prove she’s ready to compete in Sochi.
“I was really focused on being consistent… I’m really pleased with my results and I know I can be competitive with the best in the world. I’ve raised the bar for myself at this point and expect to be at the top.”
Pikus-Pace started a second off the lead Friday after opening heats of 1:09.99 and 1:10.04, but she posted the fastest times of the last two heats to finish behind only Great Britain’s Shelley Rudman.
“I’d be OK finishing second or even last if I knew I’d competed at my best, but it’s tough knowing I left something behind… I know what I’m capable of now, and it just makes me even hungrier to win next time.”
Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
They could make history in Rio de Janeiro.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT
Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
It wants to make a decision by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Key swimmers and events to watch.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:12 AM EDT
Beijing beat Almaty, Kazakhstan, in a very close IOC vote.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT
Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.
Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT
It would be tougher for Wambach to make the Rio Olympic team than the 2015 World Cup team.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT
Rehm has the best long jump by a German this year, but he may have a competitive advantage.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
“If you are in the world’s top 50, you should be able to play in the Olympics.”
Jul 29, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
“I gave up following [Boston 2024] because it was pretty confusing.”
Jul 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
The USOC has until Sept. 15 to submit a bid.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
Craig wants $5.7 million total for all the whole collection.
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 0
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- World Swimming Championships men’s preview 2
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics; first city to hold Summer and Winter Games 4
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)