Pikus-Pace takes silver at the World Championships

Feb 1, 2013, 11:06 AM EST

IBSF Bob & Skeleton World Championship 2013 - Day 7 Getty Images

After two years away from the her sport, skeleton racer Noelle Pikus-Pace is officially back after finishing second at worlds in St. Moritz Friday.

“What a great day,” the 2007 world champ said after her final run. “I felt so much better today and I am excited to be on the medal stand. This has already been such an amazing year.”

Pikus-Pace, who finished fourth at the 2010 Games, announced her desire to comeback to the sport last summer. She has already finished on the podium four times during the World Cup season, and helped the U.S. win gold in the team event earlier this week. But her silver in the individual race was what she need to prove she’s ready to compete in Sochi.

“I was really focused on being consistent… I’m really pleased with my results and I know I can be competitive with the best in the world. I’ve raised the bar for myself at this point and expect to be at the top.”

Pikus-Pace started a second off the lead Friday after opening heats of 1:09.99 and 1:10.04, but she posted the fastest times of the last two heats to finish behind only Great Britain’s Shelley Rudman.

“I’d be OK finishing second or even last if I knew I’d competed at my best, but it’s tough knowing I left something behind… I know what I’m capable of now, and it just makes me even hungrier to win next time.”

Latest Posts
  1. Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed

Nov 21, 2014, 8:59 AM EST

Angelina Jolie, Louis Zamperini AP

“Unbroken” film about Olympian and World War II hero comes out on Christmas.

2. Table tennis player shoves over referee after loss (video)

Nov 20, 2014, 5:34 PM EST

Table Tennis

Young Dmitry Melnichenko lost the match, then lost his cool.

3. Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 PM EST

Joss Christensen Getty Images

Olympic ski slopestyle champion uses a chainsaw every day.

4. Louie Vito hopes to stand out after missing Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 3:03 PM EST

Louie Vito Getty Images

Vito thought he had what it took to make the Olympic team, but judges didn’t see it the same way.

5. Claressa Shields wins first World Championships bout in 11 seconds (video)

Nov 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST

Claressa Shields Getty Images

Olympic champion could face the only woman who beat her in the quarterfinals.

6. Mikaela Shiffrin finishes 15th, 16th in super-Gs in Colorado

Nov 19, 2014, 8:25 PM EST

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

“I don’t really want to race unless I have a shot at winning.”

7. Vanessa-Mae faces retroactive Olympic ban

Nov 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EST

Vanessa Mae Getty Images

Her name could be “erased from the list of participants,” IOC president said.

8. Rio Olympics to have some morning track and field finals

Nov 19, 2014, 11:29 AM EST

Shalane Flanagan Getty Images

Eight stadium events will have morning finals, a first for Olympic track and field since 1988.

9. IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms

Nov 18, 2014, 4:11 PM EST

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

The IOC will vote on 40 proposed changes to the Olympics in December.

10. Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back

Nov 18, 2014, 4:01 PM EST

Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Also, Natalie Coughlin said she reached out to Phelps.

11. Ryan Lochte unsure who is world’s best swimmer

Nov 18, 2014, 3:52 PM EST

Ryan Lochte, Kosuke Hagino, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Four years ago, Michael Phelps’ coach said Lochte was the world’s best swimmer.

12. Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona

Nov 18, 2014, 9:23 AM EST

Lamine Diack

U.S. has never hosted the World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

13. Jennifer Kessy, Emily Day form new beach volleyball partnership

Nov 17, 2014, 4:35 PM EST

Jennifer Kessy Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist’s partner in London was April Ross, who is now with Kerri Walsh Jennings.

14. Bode Miller out until January due to back surgery

Nov 17, 2014, 1:42 PM EST

Bode Miller Getty Images

Miller hopes to return one week before the one storied race he has never won.

15. Peter Forsberg and the Olympics

Nov 17, 2014, 1:16 PM EST

Peter Forsberg Getty Images

Swede being inducted into Hall of Fame authored one of the iconic Olympic moments in 1994.

16. Holley Mangold takes 13th at World Weightlifting Championships

Nov 16, 2014, 8:57 AM EST

Holley Mangold Getty Images

Sister of New York Jets center was competing in her first World Championships.

17. Javier Fernandez wins Rostelecom Cup; Jason Brown’s best free skate (video)

Nov 15, 2014, 6:59 PM EST

Javier Fernandez Getty Images

How do Fernandez and Brown’s scores compare across four Grand Prix events?