Pikus-Pace takes silver at the World Championships

Feb 1, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT

IBSF Bob & Skeleton World Championship 2013 - Day 7 Getty Images

After two years away from the her sport, skeleton racer Noelle Pikus-Pace is officially back after finishing second at worlds in St. Moritz Friday.

“What a great day,” the 2007 world champ said after her final run. “I felt so much better today and I am excited to be on the medal stand. This has already been such an amazing year.”

Pikus-Pace, who finished fourth at the 2010 Games, announced her desire to comeback to the sport last summer. She has already finished on the podium four times during the World Cup season, and helped the U.S. win gold in the team event earlier this week. But her silver in the individual race was what she need to prove she’s ready to compete in Sochi.

“I was really focused on being consistent… I’m really pleased with my results and I know I can be competitive with the best in the world. I’ve raised the bar for myself at this point and expect to be at the top.”

Pikus-Pace started a second off the lead Friday after opening heats of 1:09.99 and 1:10.04, but she posted the fastest times of the last two heats to finish behind only Great Britain’s Shelley Rudman.

“I’d be OK finishing second or even last if I knew I’d competed at my best, but it’s tough knowing I left something behind… I know what I’m capable of now, and it just makes me even hungrier to win next time.”

Latest Posts
  1. Thomas Bach hopes mixed-gender events in Nanjing impact Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Thomas Bach Getty Images

IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.

2. U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds

Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT

Sabrina Massialas Getty Images

How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?

3. Zurich Diamond League final preview

Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

David Rudisha Getty Images

Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.

4. Shakur Stevenson wins Youth Olympic boxing gold; Rio next? (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT

Shakur Stevenson Getty Images

Stevenson has unprecedented junior credentials for a U.S. boxer.

5. Youth Olympics 8x100m champion relay team crosses continents, events, genders (video)

Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT

Youth Olympics 8x100m relay Getty Images

Comoros, British Virgin Islands, Romania join together in track and field finale.

6. Tanith Belbin visits Youth Olympics Sports Lab (video)

Aug 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

Tanith Belbin

Olympic ice dancing silver medalist tries out non-Olympic sports.

7. Rio Olympics have first qualified entries

Aug 26, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Germany equestrian Getty Images

German, British, Dutch dressage teams win medals at World Equestrian Games.

8. Youth Olympic ambassador Chad le Clos reflects on beating Michael Phelps (video)

Aug 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

Chad le Clos Getty Images

Le Clos won five medals at the 2010 Youth Olympics before shocking the most decorated Olympian ever in London.

9. Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return

Aug 25, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

Jonathan Horton Getty Images

Even his coach doubted him, but Jonathan Horton made good on a December vow.

10. 8x100m relay with 500 athletes to finish Youth Olympics track competition

Aug 25, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT

Baton Getty Images

Mixed-gender, mixed-team relay will include athletes from all track and field events.

11. Youth Olympians reunited for first time in 12 years

Aug 25, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT

Ava Lorein Verdeflor Getty Images

Filipino gymnast was separated from Singapore shooter at age 3.

12. Sam Mikulak rallies for repeat P&G Championships title (video)

Aug 24, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT

Sam Mikulak Getty Images

“This was his toughest climb,” his coach said.

13. Tori Bowie pulls up at Birmingham Diamond League; recap

Aug 24, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT

Tori Bowie Getty Images

Mo Farah breaks a European record; Allyson Felix fails to make 100m final.

14. Usain Bolt ends his season

Aug 24, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Bolt has his slowest season since 2007.

15. Katie Ledecky smashes another world record at Pan Pacs

Aug 24, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Ledecky faster in 1500m free at 17 than Ryan Lochte was at 19 in 2004.

16. Simone Biles awes judges, U.S. legend to repeat at P&G Championships

Aug 23, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT

Simone Biles Getty Images

The World all-around champion fell on balance beam and still won easily.