Pikus-Pace takes silver at the World Championships

Feb 1, 2013, 11:06 AM EST

IBSF Bob & Skeleton World Championship 2013 - Day 7 Getty Images

After two years away from the her sport, skeleton racer Noelle Pikus-Pace is officially back after finishing second at worlds in St. Moritz Friday.

“What a great day,” the 2007 world champ said after her final run. “I felt so much better today and I am excited to be on the medal stand. This has already been such an amazing year.”

Pikus-Pace, who finished fourth at the 2010 Games, announced her desire to comeback to the sport last summer. She has already finished on the podium four times during the World Cup season, and helped the U.S. win gold in the team event earlier this week. But her silver in the individual race was what she need to prove she’s ready to compete in Sochi.

“I was really focused on being consistent… I’m really pleased with my results and I know I can be competitive with the best in the world. I’ve raised the bar for myself at this point and expect to be at the top.”

Pikus-Pace started a second off the lead Friday after opening heats of 1:09.99 and 1:10.04, but she posted the fastest times of the last two heats to finish behind only Great Britain’s Shelley Rudman.

“I’d be OK finishing second or even last if I knew I’d competed at my best, but it’s tough knowing I left something behind… I know what I’m capable of now, and it just makes me even hungrier to win next time.”

Latest Posts
  1. Rio Olympic Park construction progress (photos)

Nov 28, 2014, 2:57 PM EST

Rio Olympic Park

How the venues for basketball, swimming and other sports are coming along.

2. Mikaela Shiffrin: ‘I’m trying to show people what’s not impossible’

Nov 28, 2014, 11:33 AM EST

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

The youngest Olympic slalom champion tries to emulate one skier above all the rest — an Olympic men’s champion.

3. Four-year ban sought for Carolina Kostner

Nov 28, 2014, 11:17 AM EST

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Kostner, the Olympic and World figure skating bronze medalist, is taking this season off.

4. Seb Coe outlines concerns for track and field, eyes IAAF presidency

Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 AM EST

Seb Coe Getty Images

Coe sees problems with the World Championships and Diamond League.

5. Iouri Podladtchikov out after ankle surgery

Nov 28, 2014, 10:41 AM EST

Iouri Podladtchikov Getty Images

Olympic champion’s status for World Championships in January is unclear.

6. Gracie Gold leads NHK Trophy; Yuzuru Hanyu struggles

Nov 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST

Gracie Gold Getty Images

Grand Prix final picture includes plenty of Americans.

7. Rio Olympic golf course work can continue, judge orders

Nov 28, 2014, 9:42 AM EST

Rio Olympic golf course AP

Legal battle may not be finished, however.

8. Sapporo mayor plans 2026 Winter Olympic bid

Nov 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EST

Sapporo Getty Images

Japanese site could break a 46-year Winter Olympic streak.

9. Viktor Tikhonov tribute held at hockey arena (video)

Nov 28, 2014, 8:47 AM EST

Viktor Tikhonov Getty Images

Tikhonov died earlier this week at 84 after a long illness.

10. Ted Ligety (wrist) out this weekend

Nov 28, 2014, 8:15 AM EST

Ted Ligety Getty Images

Olympic champion hopes to return for Beaver Creek next weekend.

11. NBC Sports, Universal to air unprecedented U.S. ski, snowboard coverage this season

Nov 26, 2014, 1:06 PM EST

Ted Ligety Getty Images

Full schedule of coverage across World Cups, Grand Prix events and World Championships.

12. U.S. figure skaters officially bronze medalists, 50 years later

Nov 26, 2014, 7:42 AM EST

Vivian Joseph, Ronald Joseph Getty Images

Sister-brother team had bronze medals, but the official results didn’t reflect that until Tuesday.

13. Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016

Nov 25, 2014, 10:46 AM EST

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Scheduling conflicts, another new event?

14. Rio Olympic commemorative coins to be issued

Nov 25, 2014, 9:27 AM EST

Rio Olympic coins

Christ the Redeemer, Olympic motto honored on the coins.

15. Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles

Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 PM EST

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps is working toward 2015 goals, a North Baltimore official said.

16. Pat Quinn, who coached Canada to gold in 2002, dies at 71

Nov 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EST

Pat Quinn Getty Images

Canada won its first men’s hockey Olympic gold in 50 years under Quinn.

17. Claressa Shields, Marlen Esparza win World Boxing Championships

Nov 24, 2014, 10:11 AM EST

Claressa Shields Getty Images

Olympic champion Shields was named the tournament’s best overall boxer.

18. Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84

Nov 24, 2014, 9:17 AM EST

Viktor Tikhonov Getty Images

Tikhonov led the Soviets in the Miracle on Ice game.