Pikus-Pace takes silver at the World Championships

Feb 1, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT

IBSF Bob & Skeleton World Championship 2013 - Day 7 Getty Images

After two years away from the her sport, skeleton racer Noelle Pikus-Pace is officially back after finishing second at worlds in St. Moritz Friday.

“What a great day,” the 2007 world champ said after her final run. “I felt so much better today and I am excited to be on the medal stand. This has already been such an amazing year.”

Pikus-Pace, who finished fourth at the 2010 Games, announced her desire to comeback to the sport last summer. She has already finished on the podium four times during the World Cup season, and helped the U.S. win gold in the team event earlier this week. But her silver in the individual race was what she need to prove she’s ready to compete in Sochi.

“I was really focused on being consistent… I’m really pleased with my results and I know I can be competitive with the best in the world. I’ve raised the bar for myself at this point and expect to be at the top.”

Pikus-Pace started a second off the lead Friday after opening heats of 1:09.99 and 1:10.04, but she posted the fastest times of the last two heats to finish behind only Great Britain’s Shelley Rudman.

“I’d be OK finishing second or even last if I knew I’d competed at my best, but it’s tough knowing I left something behind… I know what I’m capable of now, and it just makes me even hungrier to win next time.”

Latest Posts
  1. Edmonton Oilers hire Olympic pairs champion as skating coach

Sep 17, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT

David Pelletier Getty Images

Canadian from memorable 2002 Olympic pairs competition to coach NHL players.

2. Kaitlyn Farrington, Olympic halfpipe champ, eyes slopestyle at Dew Tour

Sep 17, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT

Kaitlyn Farrington Getty Images

Olympic halfpipe champion is focused on two competitions this season.

3. Curling sculpture unveiled at Olympic Museum (photos)

Sep 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Curling statue

Curling is the first Winter Olympic sport to have a sculpture in the Olympic Museum park.

4. Paula Radcliffe set for first race since pulling out of London Olympics

Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT

Paula Radcliffe Getty Images

World record holder, now 40, could enter two more major marathons.

5. Hicham El Guerrouj, King of the Mile, could still run fast at 40

Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT

Hicham El Guerrouj Getty Images

Two-time Olympic champion runs five or six times per week.

6. Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi

Sep 17, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion “more poised” for slopestyle success in 2018.

7. Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’

Sep 17, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT

Lolo Jones Getty Images

Jones posted she had “flashbacks of the three Olympics and that people constantly tease me about.”

8. Rio Olympic ticket prices start at about $20 in Brazil

Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

Rio 2016

More than 7.5 million tickets will be available for the Games.

9. Kohei Uchimura’s mother competes in gymnastics meet

Sep 16, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

Kohei Uchimura Getty Images

Shuko Uchimura hadn’t competed in some 30 years, according to Japanese report.

10. Boston’s potential advantage in 2024 Olympic bid race

Sep 16, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Boston Getty Images

“The city is the Olympic park,” official tells Boston Globe.

11. Paralympic president clarifies Pistorius stance, looks to Rio

Sep 15, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius, Alan Oliveira Getty Images

IPC president Sir Philip Craven looks ahead to an anniversary and a new frontier for the Paralympics.

12. Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell

Sep 15, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT

Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps Getty Images

The greatest Olympians of this generation discuss thoughts on one another.

13. U.S. men’s volleyball team eliminated at World Championships

Sep 15, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

USA Volleyball Getty Images

U.S. bounced in Poland with five-set loss to Argentina.

14. What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics

Sep 15, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT

Kyrie Irving AP

The second-biggest winner from the FIBA World Cup may be a nation that didn’t compete in Spain.

15. Carolina Kostner called to hearing in ex-boyfriend’s doping case

Sep 15, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Olympic bronze medalist figure skater dated Olympic race-walking champion when he tested positive.

16. Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated

Sep 13, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Nike had suspended its contract with the runner six days after he shot and killed his girlfriend.

17. Jenny Simpson has long-standing record in sight after spectacular season

Sep 12, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Jenny Simpson Getty Images

Simpson, racing the Fifth Avenue Mile on Saturday, is one tenth away from breaking a 31-year-old mark.