Pikus-Pace takes silver at the World Championships

Feb 1, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT

IBSF Bob & Skeleton World Championship 2013 - Day 7 Getty Images

After two years away from the her sport, skeleton racer Noelle Pikus-Pace is officially back after finishing second at worlds in St. Moritz Friday.

“What a great day,” the 2007 world champ said after her final run. “I felt so much better today and I am excited to be on the medal stand. This has already been such an amazing year.”

Pikus-Pace, who finished fourth at the 2010 Games, announced her desire to comeback to the sport last summer. She has already finished on the podium four times during the World Cup season, and helped the U.S. win gold in the team event earlier this week. But her silver in the individual race was what she need to prove she’s ready to compete in Sochi.

“I was really focused on being consistent… I’m really pleased with my results and I know I can be competitive with the best in the world. I’ve raised the bar for myself at this point and expect to be at the top.”

Pikus-Pace started a second off the lead Friday after opening heats of 1:09.99 and 1:10.04, but she posted the fastest times of the last two heats to finish behind only Great Britain’s Shelley Rudman.

“I’d be OK finishing second or even last if I knew I’d competed at my best, but it’s tough knowing I left something behind… I know what I’m capable of now, and it just makes me even hungrier to win next time.”

Latest Posts
  1. Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban

Jul 22, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

“It is sending a bad message,” Bolt said.

2. Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish

Jul 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas

Amarissa, 13, is a former gymnast who suffers from lupus.

3. David Boudia ponders a third diving event leading to 2016

Jul 22, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT

David Boudia Getty Images

Olympic champion finished his season in Shanghai last week.

4. Guide to the Commonwealth Games

Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Top sprinters from Jamaica, swimmers from Australia and more gather in Glasgow.

5. First Olympic golf qualification rankings released

Jul 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT

Rory McIlroy AP

U.S. stars would not make the Olympic field if it was determined today.

6. Big 12 commissioner says men’s Olympic sports could be cut

Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

Bob Bowlsby AP

NCAA’s current lawsuits may cut funding.

7. Dutch cyclist cheats death twice, avoids both Malaysian Airlines flights

Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT

Maarten de Jonge `

“It’s inconceivable,” Maarten de Jonge said.

8. 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters

Jul 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT

Champion Goldy

Extraordinary men include war veterans, longtime NASA worker, Methodist minister.

9. Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits

Jul 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT

Kim Jin-sun AP

Kim Jin-sun had been the committee’s president since October 2011.

10. Mariel Zagunis wins silver at World Fencing Championships (video)

Jul 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT

Mariel Zagunis Getty Images

U.S. Olympic flag bearer returned to the podium after missing medals at 2012 Olympics, 2013 Worlds.

11. Henry Ellard, former NFL All-Pro receiver, competes at USATF Masters

Jul 18, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT

Henry Ellard Getty Images

Ellard triple jumped at 1992 U.S. Olympic Trials.

12. Jesse Owens biopic cast headliners revealed

Jul 17, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

Jesse Owens AP

Multiple Owens biopics in the works.

13. Lifetime doping bans not legal, WADA president says

Jul 17, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

Craig Reedie Reuters

But a four-year ban would stand up in court.

14. Olympians, Paralympians at the ESPYs (photos)

Jul 17, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT

Jamie Anderson

Sochi stars and a 12-time Olympic medalist were at Nokia Theater.

15. Monaco Diamond League on world record watch; preview

Jul 17, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT

Absel Kiprop Getty Images

Asbel Kiprop goes after 16-year-old mark in 1500m.

16. South Korea men’s hockey team might not qualify for 2018

Jul 17, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

South Korea hockey Getty Images

Host countries aren’t assured spots in the Olympics anymore, and South Korea is ranked very low.

17. Paralympic champion Josh Sweeney receives Tillman Award at ESPYs

Jul 17, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Josh Sweeney AP

Sweeney, a Purple Heart recipient, scored the gold-winning goal in Sochi.