Pikus-Pace takes silver at the World Championships

Feb 1, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT

IBSF Bob & Skeleton World Championship 2013 - Day 7 Getty Images

After two years away from the her sport, skeleton racer Noelle Pikus-Pace is officially back after finishing second at worlds in St. Moritz Friday.

“What a great day,” the 2007 world champ said after her final run. “I felt so much better today and I am excited to be on the medal stand. This has already been such an amazing year.”

Pikus-Pace, who finished fourth at the 2010 Games, announced her desire to comeback to the sport last summer. She has already finished on the podium four times during the World Cup season, and helped the U.S. win gold in the team event earlier this week. But her silver in the individual race was what she need to prove she’s ready to compete in Sochi.

“I was really focused on being consistent… I’m really pleased with my results and I know I can be competitive with the best in the world. I’ve raised the bar for myself at this point and expect to be at the top.”

Pikus-Pace started a second off the lead Friday after opening heats of 1:09.99 and 1:10.04, but she posted the fastest times of the last two heats to finish behind only Great Britain’s Shelley Rudman.

“I’d be OK finishing second or even last if I knew I’d competed at my best, but it’s tough knowing I left something behind… I know what I’m capable of now, and it just makes me even hungrier to win next time.”

Latest Posts
  1. Boston Marathon finish line security visibility increased after backpack incident

Apr 16, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT

Boston Marathon AP

Police commissioner asks spectators not to flock to Boylston Street on Monday.

2. Oscar Pistorius trial will take break for 2 weeks

Apr 16, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Judge will spend break reading 2,000-page court record.

3. ISU receives South Korea complaint over figure skating judging

Apr 16, 2014, 4:17 AM EDT

Yuna Kim Getty Images

Korea Skating Union is protesting the makeup of judges, not the results.

4. Boston Marathon tribute, moment of silence held near finish line

Apr 15, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

Boston Marathon Bombing Anniversary AP

Survivors, first responders, those affected by attack take part in tribute.

5. Boston sports teams share same #BostonStrong tweet

Apr 15, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT

Boston Strong

Teams’ tweets sent at same time Tuesday morning.

6. Usain Bolt talks about foot injury, focus beyond 2014

Apr 15, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

World’s fastest man might not race again until June.

7. Can Michael Phelps excel in comeback?

Apr 15, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

What is the competition like in Phelps’ potential events?

8. Oscar Pistorius’ cross-examination ends at murder trial

Apr 15, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Prosecution asks for break until May 5.

9. Boston Marathon tragedy remembered on anniversary

Apr 15, 2014, 8:16 AM EDT

Boston Marathon Reuters

Ceremony, moment of silence to honor, remember last year’s tragedy.

10. Catching up with Mark Henry

Apr 14, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Mark Henry Getty Images

‘World’s Strongest Man’ talks about nude photo shoot, pro wrestling career, meeting Andre the Giant.

11. Michael Phelps coming out of retirement

Apr 14, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps announced as headliner for meet next week, ending two-year break.

12. How Michael Phelps spent his retirement (photos)

Apr 14, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Pele, Michael Phelps AP

22-time Olympic medalist expected to come out of retirement next week.

13. Update: One runner dies, another goes missing, found after London Marathon

Apr 14, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT

London Marathon

Woman who finished 20th found day after disappearing.

14. International Ski Federation defends slopestyle’s safety

Apr 14, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT

Alexey Sobolev Reuters

It’s too early to draw conclusions on Sochi, FIS official says.

15. Oscar Pistorius emotionally breaks down as prosecution alleges inconsistencies

Apr 14, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Pistorius hugged by woman as he enters court, signs autograph after Monday’s session.

16. Slopestyle’s injury rate too high for Olympics, IOC official says

Apr 13, 2014, 8:13 AM EDT

Shaun White Reuters

Ski and snowboard slopestyle’s injury rates highest among Sochi sports.

17. Boston Marathon details security near finish line

Apr 13, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT

Boston Marathon Reuters

More checkpoints, police officers along Boylston Street to the finish.

18. Mo Farah beaten in London Marathon (video)

Apr 13, 2014, 7:23 AM EDT

Mo Farah Getty Images

Farah asked if he will continue marathon running after disappointing finish.

19. USOC has ‘serious concerns’ about USA Curling

Apr 12, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT

John Shuster, Jared Zezel, John Landsteiner AP

U.S. men’s, women’s teams combined for 3-15 record in Sochi.

20. Bode Miller’s next season likely to be his last in Alpine skiing

Apr 11, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT

Bode Miller AP

Six-time Olympic medalist commented while attending the Masters.

Inside Michael Phelps' comeback