Pikus-Pace takes silver at the World Championships

Feb 1, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT

IBSF Bob & Skeleton World Championship 2013 - Day 7 Getty Images

After two years away from the her sport, skeleton racer Noelle Pikus-Pace is officially back after finishing second at worlds in St. Moritz Friday.

“What a great day,” the 2007 world champ said after her final run. “I felt so much better today and I am excited to be on the medal stand. This has already been such an amazing year.”

Pikus-Pace, who finished fourth at the 2010 Games, announced her desire to comeback to the sport last summer. She has already finished on the podium four times during the World Cup season, and helped the U.S. win gold in the team event earlier this week. But her silver in the individual race was what she need to prove she’s ready to compete in Sochi.

“I was really focused on being consistent… I’m really pleased with my results and I know I can be competitive with the best in the world. I’ve raised the bar for myself at this point and expect to be at the top.”

Pikus-Pace started a second off the lead Friday after opening heats of 1:09.99 and 1:10.04, but she posted the fastest times of the last two heats to finish behind only Great Britain’s Shelley Rudman.

“I’d be OK finishing second or even last if I knew I’d competed at my best, but it’s tough knowing I left something behind… I know what I’m capable of now, and it just makes me even hungrier to win next time.”

Latest Posts
  1. Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London

Jul 3, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT

US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a

In an interview before the July 4th stop of the Road to Rio tour before Philadelphia, the Olympic wrestler explained how his age has become an advantage.

2. Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled

Jul 3, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT

Screen shot 2015-07-03 at 11.35.56 AM

The torch will begin in the capital city of Brasilia, passing through a planned 500 cities before reaching Maracana Stadium in Rio for the Opening Ceremony.

3. Allyson Felix considering 200-400m double at Worlds

Jul 3, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT

Allyson Felix Allyson Felix

Won’t face Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who will forgo 200 meters to focus on 100.

4. Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships

Jul 2, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT

Comments Off on Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships
    Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me

A suspected elbow fracture may force Hagino to pull out.

5. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross historically dominant at World Championships

Jul 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings had never been part of such a rout with Misty May-Treanor.

6. USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’

Jun 30, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Boston 2024

“We’re not discussing right now the possibility of not submitting a bid.”

7. Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets

Jun 30, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT

AP AP

Bolt flew to Munich to treat an injury.

8. Brazil’s president offers Barack Obama ‘standing invitation’ to Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

AP AP

Obama has never attended an Olympics as president, and this is his last chance.

9. Simon Shnapir retires from figure skating

Jun 30, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Shnapir won Olympic bronze in Sochi.

10. Missy Franklin named top NCAA female athlete

Jun 30, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Franklin beat out another Rio 2016 Olympic hopeful for the honor.

11. Cristiano Ronaldo ‘a possibility’ for Rio 2016 Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo Getty Images

Ronaldo debuted at the Olympics two years before his first World Cup.

12. Angela Ruggiero to become fourth women’s player in Hockey Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

The 2015 Hall of Fame class also includes four men’s Olympic medalists.

13. Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday

Jun 30, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Michael Phelps

Most decorated Olympian of all time turned 30 on Tuesday.

14. Michael Phelps’ potential record chases at Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 7:50 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps still trails a legendary gymnast, U.S. track and field champions and one of his 2004 Olympic swimming teammates.

15. Five takeaways from U.S. Track and Field Championships

Jun 29, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The U.S. appears headed for a historically strong World Championships medal haul.

16. Boston 2024 releases Olympic bid version 2.0 (photos)

Jun 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Boston 2024 Olympic Stadium

“The critical issue that everyone asks is, ‘Can we run a privately funded Games with a surplus?'”

17. Yannick Agnel withdraws from World Swimming Championships

Jun 29, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Agnel isn’t the only men’s swimming star who will be absent from Worlds.

18. Justin Gatlin wins 200m at U.S. Championships in another personal best

Jun 28, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT

AP AP

The women’s 800m final was the craziest of the day.