Pikus-Pace takes silver at the World Championships

Feb 1, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT

IBSF Bob & Skeleton World Championship 2013 - Day 7 Getty Images

After two years away from the her sport, skeleton racer Noelle Pikus-Pace is officially back after finishing second at worlds in St. Moritz Friday.

“What a great day,” the 2007 world champ said after her final run. “I felt so much better today and I am excited to be on the medal stand. This has already been such an amazing year.”

Pikus-Pace, who finished fourth at the 2010 Games, announced her desire to comeback to the sport last summer. She has already finished on the podium four times during the World Cup season, and helped the U.S. win gold in the team event earlier this week. But her silver in the individual race was what she need to prove she’s ready to compete in Sochi.

“I was really focused on being consistent… I’m really pleased with my results and I know I can be competitive with the best in the world. I’ve raised the bar for myself at this point and expect to be at the top.”

Pikus-Pace started a second off the lead Friday after opening heats of 1:09.99 and 1:10.04, but she posted the fastest times of the last two heats to finish behind only Great Britain’s Shelley Rudman.

“I’d be OK finishing second or even last if I knew I’d competed at my best, but it’s tough knowing I left something behind… I know what I’m capable of now, and it just makes me even hungrier to win next time.”

Latest Posts
  1. Carl Lewis becomes full-time University of Houston track coach

Sep 1, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

Carl Lewis AP

Lewis joins staff with two other Olympic sprint medalists.

2. Berlin, Hamburg submit Olympic bid intentions

Sep 1, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT

Germany flag Getty Images

Germany is the latest rival to a potential U.S. Olympic bid in 2024.

3. African wrestlers out of World Championships due to Ebola travel restrictions

Sep 1, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT

Wrestling Getty Images

Seven from Nigeria, two from Sierra Leone out due to Uzbekistan’s restrictions.

4. Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui

Sep 1, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Haley Anderson Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist swam three days after suffering allergic reaction to jellyfish sting.

5. Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon

Aug 30, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen Rich Cruse/USA Triathlon

American overcame a 69-second deficit, passing 19 women on the 10km run to cap dominating season.

6. Henry Cejudo withdraws on eve of UFC fight debut

Aug 29, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT

Henry Cejudo Getty Images

Olympic champion cites “medical reasons” hours before weigh-in.

7. How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics

Aug 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

James Harden Getty Images

Statistically, the U.S. might be better off not winning in Spain in the Olympic scope.

8. Kayla Harrison wins bronze at World Judo Championships

Aug 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

Kayla Harrison Getty Images

Olympic champion missed 2013 Worlds after knee surgery.

9. Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton

Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen Getty Images

An accountant five years ago, triathlete is dominating after Olympic disappointment.

10. Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video)

Aug 28, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT

Tyson Gay

Allyson Felix, David Rudisha beaten in first of two Diamond League finals meets.

11. Man with cerebral palsy towed through Ironman by twin brother

Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

tvilling

Steen and Peder Mondrup completed the Ironman Copenhagen in 15 hours.

12. Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos)

Aug 28, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT

Closing Ceremony

Olympic Flag handed over to Buenos Aires, host of 2018 Youth Olympics.

13. Rio Olympics volunteer registration opens

Aug 28, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT

Rio 2016 Olympics Getty Images

Officials looking for 70,000 people over the Olympics and Paralympics.

14. Yao Ming reflects on Beijing 2008 at Youth Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT

Yao Ming, Lewis Johnson

Chinese basketball star also updates on what he’s been doing in retirement.

15. Thomas Bach hopes mixed-gender events in Nanjing impact Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Thomas Bach Getty Images

IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.

16. U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds

Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT

Sabrina Massialas Getty Images

How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?

17. Zurich Diamond League final preview

Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

David Rudisha Getty Images

Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.

18. Shakur Stevenson wins Youth Olympic boxing gold; Rio next? (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT

Shakur Stevenson Getty Images

Stevenson has unprecedented junior credentials for a U.S. boxer.

19. Youth Olympics 8x100m champion relay team crosses continents, events, genders (video)

Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT

Youth Olympics 8x100m relay Getty Images

Comoros, British Virgin Islands, Romania join together in track and field finale.

20. Tanith Belbin visits Youth Olympics Sports Lab (video)

Aug 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

Tanith Belbin

Olympic ice dancing silver medalist tries out non-Olympic sports.