Pikus-Pace takes silver at the World Championships

Feb 1, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT

IBSF Bob & Skeleton World Championship 2013 - Day 7 Getty Images

After two years away from the her sport, skeleton racer Noelle Pikus-Pace is officially back after finishing second at worlds in St. Moritz Friday.

“What a great day,” the 2007 world champ said after her final run. “I felt so much better today and I am excited to be on the medal stand. This has already been such an amazing year.”

Pikus-Pace, who finished fourth at the 2010 Games, announced her desire to comeback to the sport last summer. She has already finished on the podium four times during the World Cup season, and helped the U.S. win gold in the team event earlier this week. But her silver in the individual race was what she need to prove she’s ready to compete in Sochi.

“I was really focused on being consistent… I’m really pleased with my results and I know I can be competitive with the best in the world. I’ve raised the bar for myself at this point and expect to be at the top.”

Pikus-Pace started a second off the lead Friday after opening heats of 1:09.99 and 1:10.04, but she posted the fastest times of the last two heats to finish behind only Great Britain’s Shelley Rudman.

“I’d be OK finishing second or even last if I knew I’d competed at my best, but it’s tough knowing I left something behind… I know what I’m capable of now, and it just makes me even hungrier to win next time.”

Latest Posts
  1. Dennis Kimetto gets hero’s welcome in Kenya (photos)

Oct 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT

Dennis Kimetto Getty Images

Marathon world record smasher reportedly already has 2015 plans.

2. North Korea vs. South Korea in Asian Games men’s soccer final

Oct 1, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

North Korea men's soccer Getty Images

Game will be played in South Korea with more than a gold medal at stake.

3. Oslo withdraws 2022 Olympic bid after ‘no’ vote

Oct 1, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT

Oslo 2022 Getty Images

Almaty, Kazakhstan and Beijing are the two remaining finalists.

4. Kyla Ross suffered hip injury before World Championships

Oct 1, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT

Kyla Ross Getty Images

Olympic team champion trained with her hip and thigh taped Wednesday.

5. Lindsey Vonn’s return to snow ‘went well,’ U.S. coach says

Oct 1, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Vonn strapped on skis in Austria, preparing for her World Cup return later this fall.

6. Justin Gatlin eyes more 200s after undefeated season

Oct 1, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Sprinter discusses Usain Bolt, reflects on 2014 and looks ahead to 2015.

7. Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charges

Sep 30, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

The 22-time Olympic medalist was pulled over in Maryland overnight.

8. U.S. women’s basketball team beats Angola by 75 points

Sep 30, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT

Tina Charles Getty Images

U.S.’ previous biggest blowout was 70 points over Senegal.

9. Lauryn Williams ‘playing with the idea’ of bobsled this season

Sep 30, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT

Lauryn Williams Getty Images

Summer and Winter Olympian previously said she was all but retired.

10. Lindsey Vonn set for first skiing in 10 months, named 2016 Youth Olympics ambassador

Sep 30, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Vancouver downhill champion expected to ski in Austria on Wednesday.

11. Patrick Chan eyes return to competition in 2015-16

Sep 30, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT

Patrick Chan Getty Images

Canadian joins long list of skaters sitting out this season.

12. Katinka Hosszu wins record 10 golds in 2 days at FINA World Cup

Sep 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

Katinka Hosszu Getty Images

Hungarian matched her Monday output on Tuesday but lacked top competition.

13. Mikaela Shiffrin gets her own street in Vail

Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT

Mikaela Shiffrin

Olympic slalom champion also gave an update on her 2014-15 plans.

14. Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon

Sep 29, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT

Dennis Kimetto Getty Images

Dennis Kimetto’s record-smashing win in Berlin brings the barrier into closer view.

15. ISU wants synchronized figure skating in Winter Olympics

Sep 29, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

Synchronized Skating Getty Images

ISU asks for synchronized skating and a new speed skating event for 2018.

16. Yevgeny Plushenko wants to prove he ‘is not a coward’

Sep 29, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT

Yevgeny Plushenko Getty Images

Plushenko received criticism for withdrawing at Sochi Olympics.