Jan 31, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
X Games snowmobiler Caleb Moore, 25, passed away Thursday morning due to heart and brain injuries suffered from crash last week in Aspen. Moore was attempting a backflip when his snowmobile caught the lip of the landing area, sending him over the handlebars and face-first into the snow, with the sled landing on top of him.
He was treated for a concussion at a nearby hospital, then flown to Grand Junction for surgery after bleeding developed around his heart. He later suffered a brain complication. A website set up to help the family with the medical costs has already raised more than $25,000 towards its goal.
On behalf of the Moore family:
This morning Caleb Moore passed away. He will be truly missed and never forgotten. The family wishes to express their deep gratitude for all the prayers and support they have received from all the fans, friends and family around the world that Caleb has inspired.
They would also like to thank the physicians and medical staff at Aspen Valley Hospital and St. Mary’s
Hospital, Grand Junction for their care and dedication.
- Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog 0
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Ted Ligety struggles in first race of season (video) 0
- Japan’s Machida routs U.S. men at Skate America; ice dancers make history 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)