Jan 31, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
X Games snowmobiler Caleb Moore, 25, passed away Thursday morning due to heart and brain injuries suffered from crash last week in Aspen. Moore was attempting a backflip when his snowmobile caught the lip of the landing area, sending him over the handlebars and face-first into the snow, with the sled landing on top of him.
He was treated for a concussion at a nearby hospital, then flown to Grand Junction for surgery after bleeding developed around his heart. He later suffered a brain complication. A website set up to help the family with the medical costs has already raised more than $25,000 towards its goal.
On behalf of the Moore family:
This morning Caleb Moore passed away. He will be truly missed and never forgotten. The family wishes to express their deep gratitude for all the prayers and support they have received from all the fans, friends and family around the world that Caleb has inspired.
They would also like to thank the physicians and medical staff at Aspen Valley Hospital and St. Mary’s
Hospital, Grand Junction for their care and dedication.
- Boston Marathon to move forward with traditional spectacle of a finish 1
- Boston Marathon men’s preview 1
- Boston Marathon women’s preview 1
- Miracle on Ice hockey player selling his Olympic gold medal 1
- Evelyn Furtsch Ojeda is first female U.S. Olympic champion to reach 100 years old 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ prosthetic leg used in testimony 0
- Summer Sanders returns to run Boston Marathon again 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (37)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)