Jan 31, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
X Games snowmobiler Caleb Moore, 25, passed away Thursday morning due to heart and brain injuries suffered from crash last week in Aspen. Moore was attempting a backflip when his snowmobile caught the lip of the landing area, sending him over the handlebars and face-first into the snow, with the sled landing on top of him.
He was treated for a concussion at a nearby hospital, then flown to Grand Junction for surgery after bleeding developed around his heart. He later suffered a brain complication. A website set up to help the family with the medical costs has already raised more than $25,000 towards its goal.
On behalf of the Moore family:
This morning Caleb Moore passed away. He will be truly missed and never forgotten. The family wishes to express their deep gratitude for all the prayers and support they have received from all the fans, friends and family around the world that Caleb has inspired.
They would also like to thank the physicians and medical staff at Aspen Valley Hospital and St. Mary’s
Hospital, Grand Junction for their care and dedication.
- Ted Ligety, Bode Miller go 1-2 in Beaver Creek giant slalom (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn says she’s ready for Sochi after best comeback result (video) 0
- Jesse Owens’ gold medal goes for $1.4 million in auction 1
- Lindsey Vonn stronger in second comeback race (video) 3
- U.S. sweeps women’s bobsled in Park City (video) 3
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)