Jan 31, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
X Games snowmobiler Caleb Moore, 25, passed away Thursday morning due to heart and brain injuries suffered from crash last week in Aspen. Moore was attempting a backflip when his snowmobile caught the lip of the landing area, sending him over the handlebars and face-first into the snow, with the sled landing on top of him.
He was treated for a concussion at a nearby hospital, then flown to Grand Junction for surgery after bleeding developed around his heart. He later suffered a brain complication. A website set up to help the family with the medical costs has already raised more than $25,000 towards its goal.
On behalf of the Moore family:
This morning Caleb Moore passed away. He will be truly missed and never forgotten. The family wishes to express their deep gratitude for all the prayers and support they have received from all the fans, friends and family around the world that Caleb has inspired.
They would also like to thank the physicians and medical staff at Aspen Valley Hospital and St. Mary’s
Hospital, Grand Junction for their care and dedication.
- WATCH LIVE: Sochi Paralympics, Day 5 0
- Alpine Skiing World Cup Finals preview 0
- President Obama sends beer to Canadian prime minister to settle Olympic bet 2
- Boston Marathon announces increased security 0
- Oscar Pistorius vomits, cries during autopsy testimony 1
- Yuna Kim to skate in ‘retirement event’ 0
- More U.S. Paralympians crash in Alpine skiing 0