Jan 30, 2013, 12:42 PM EST
Apparently Michael Phelps didn’t have enough sponsorship deals already, so he signed up with Ping, a golf club manufacturer, and will play in the Phoenix Open Pro-Am against Masters champ Bubba Watson using a set of custom-fit sticks.
The Olympics’ all-time medal winner has already appeared on the cover of Golf Digest, holed a 153-putt at St. Andrews, and taped a season of the Hank Haney Project, so we’re not sure how much more serious about the game he can get, but he seems to be giving it all he can.
“I have a goal in everything I do,” Phelps told USA Today. “I have friends who are single handicaps and scratch golfers, and I would love to be able to go out there and to challenge them and to be able to compete with them without them giving me 15 strokes.
“I think there are days where I put together a couple holes, but I still have horrible holes, so hopefully I can eliminate those holes and be more consistent, and that’s something that I really would love to do.”
Just remember, it’s a poor craftsman who blames his tools, especially when he’s being paid to use them.
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video) 0
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)