Jan 30, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
The IOC executive board will discuss eliminating an event from the Olympic program and adding another during a meeting on February 12 and 13 at their headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland.
The group will choose one sport to be dropped from the current list of 26, and that sport will then become a candidate vying for reinstatement along the seven others bidding for entry in 2020, including baseball and softball in a joint bid, wushu, sport climbing, roller sports, squash, karate, and wakeboarding.
The group will then apparently meet again in May in St. Petersburg to recommend one of those eight bidding sports for inclusion in the Olympic program. And then that decision will need to be ratified by the rest of the IOC committee members during a meeting in September in Buenos Aires, though it’s unlikely it would be overturned.
The two sports most likely on the chopping block, according to some insight gained by Reuters are taekwondo, which some consider a less popular alternative to karate, and the Modern Pentathlon, which combines running, swimming, shooting, fencing, and equestrian.
Golf and rugby sevens, which will both debut on the program at Rio 2016, are safe from the February vote.
Which sport do you want to see eliminated, and which would you love to see added?
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule 0
- Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host 2
- Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships 1
- Simone Biles turns pro 0
- Abby Wambach ‘planning on playing’ in Rio, ‘still need time to decide’ 2
- Los Angeles talks with USOC, San Francisco about 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)