Jan 27, 2013, 11:19 PM EST
Two-time Olympic gold medal snowboarder Shaun White won his sixth straight X Games superpipe title Sunday in Aspen, pulling off two double corks and his signature Double-McTwist to earn 98 points on his second of three runs. White actually earned the second best score of the night, too, grabbing 95 points on his first time through the pipe.
The Flying Tomato’s closest competition was 14-year-old Ayumu Hirano of Japan, who scored a 92.33 to walk away with silver in his first X Games, making him the event’s youngest medalist.
“I remember my first time at X Games, I could barely drop in my knees were shaking so bad,” White told ESPN. “I’m proud of him… I was surprised to see him doing so well.”
Markus Malin of Finland took home bronze.
Check out White’s winning run:
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)