Jan 27, 2013, 11:19 PM EST
Two-time Olympic gold medal snowboarder Shaun White won his sixth straight X Games superpipe title Sunday in Aspen, pulling off two double corks and his signature Double-McTwist to earn 98 points on his second of three runs. White actually earned the second best score of the night, too, grabbing 95 points on his first time through the pipe.
The Flying Tomato’s closest competition was 14-year-old Ayumu Hirano of Japan, who scored a 92.33 to walk away with silver in his first X Games, making him the event’s youngest medalist.
“I remember my first time at X Games, I could barely drop in my knees were shaking so bad,” White told ESPN. “I’m proud of him… I was surprised to see him doing so well.”
Markus Malin of Finland took home bronze.
Check out White’s winning run:
- Ukraine may leave Sochi Paralympics if situation escalates 0
- Five Paralympic storylines to watch in Sochi 2
- Mikaela Shiffrin takes 15th in first post-Olympic race 1
- Oscar Pistorius tried to revive girlfriend after shooting, witness recounts (video) 2
- Shannon Szabados: Oilers welcomed me with open arms (video) 1
- Adelina Sotnikova listed as substitute for World Championships; entry list highlights 3
- Oscar Pistorius’ restaurant gun incident recounted at murder trial; Day 3 recap (video) 1