Jan 26, 2013, 12:47 AM EDT
That’s how one could describe Jeremy Abbott’s skate in the short program at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships Friday night. Abbott was awarded 84.10 points for his performance, three more than Ross Miner. Sitting in third is Joshua Farris, who earned the silver medal at the 2012 World Junior Championships.
Abbott was one of just four skaters out of 20 that skated without a major error at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha Neb., which also hosted the 2012 USA Swimming Olympic Trials. As a result of the poor skating by the majority of the field, Abbott stayed conservative throughout and elected not to attempt a quadruple jump.
The 27-year-old Abbott, whose lower back woes almost forced him to pull out of the competition, is aiming for his fourth title in five years. We’ll see if he’s able to do so during Sunday’s free skate.
“I’ve been saying that I came into this championship really bearing the weight of being the current champion, so I really feel like I had a huge target on my back,” Abbott said.
Earlier Friday, ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White – the 2010 Olympic silver medalists and winners of the last four U.S. titles – earned a career-best 79.02 points to take a significant lead over second-place pair Madison Chock and Evan Bates. The free dance is Saturday.
NBC will broadcast the pairs free skate, the free dance and the women’s free skate on Saturday, while the men’s free skate will air on Sunday. Click here for times.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT
May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.
Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships
Aug 3, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Lochte posted his best time since the London Olympics.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
“It did feel pretty easy.”
Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
They could make history in Rio de Janeiro.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT
Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
It wants to make a decision by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Key swimmers and events to watch.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:12 AM EDT
Beijing beat Almaty, Kazakhstan, in a very close IOC vote.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT
Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.
Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 1
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)