Jan 25, 2013, 2:51 PM EST
The last time we saw the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Neb., two massive 50-meter pools – one in the main arena and another backstage – were in place for the 2012 USA Swimming Olympic Trials. This week, the powers that be turned the water into ice for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships.
OK, so the Trials pools were actually removed a week after the meet ended last July. But there really is an ice rink in place now (see the photo on the right for proof).
Action at these Nationals has been going on all week but it wasn’t until Thursday night when the senior-level competition started. Ashley Wagner kicked off her title defense with a solid performance in the ladies’ short program, taking a two-point lead into Saturday night’s free skate.
The senior men hit the ice tonight for their short program, and will follow that with Sunday’s free skate. And then there’s the ice dance and the pairs competitions, the former of which will showcase Meryl Davis/Charlie White and the Shibutani siblings, Maia and Alex.
In other words, there’s plenty of action to go around for everyone to enjoy. NBC will broadcast the pairs free skate, the free dance and the women’s free skate on Saturday, while the men’s free skate will air on Sunday. Click here for times.
- Mikaela Shiffrin: ‘I’m trying to show people what’s not impossible’ 0
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)