Jan 25, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
The last time we saw the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Neb., two massive 50-meter pools – one in the main arena and another backstage – were in place for the 2012 USA Swimming Olympic Trials. This week, the powers that be turned the water into ice for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships.
OK, so the Trials pools were actually removed a week after the meet ended last July. But there really is an ice rink in place now (see the photo on the right for proof).
Action at these Nationals has been going on all week but it wasn’t until Thursday night when the senior-level competition started. Ashley Wagner kicked off her title defense with a solid performance in the ladies’ short program, taking a two-point lead into Saturday night’s free skate.
The senior men hit the ice tonight for their short program, and will follow that with Sunday’s free skate. And then there’s the ice dance and the pairs competitions, the former of which will showcase Meryl Davis/Charlie White and the Shibutani siblings, Maia and Alex.
In other words, there’s plenty of action to go around for everyone to enjoy. NBC will broadcast the pairs free skate, the free dance and the women’s free skate on Saturday, while the men’s free skate will air on Sunday. Click here for times.
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 0
- David Letterman and the Olympics 0
- Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy 0
- Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction 1
- Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet 1
- Michael Phelps self-assessment: ‘horrendous,’ ‘garbage’ after winless Charlotte meet 5
- Mao Asada blogs about returning to figure skating 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)