Jan 24, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
Three-time Olympic medalist Yevgeny Plushenko decided to withdraw from the European figure skating championships in Croatia Thursday after receiving a less than stellar score on his short program.
He was sitting in sixth with just 74.82 points, a full fifteen points behind Frenchman Florent Amodio, after mistakes on two key jumps during his routine.
“It’s not a tragedy,” Pluschenko told Ves-Sport news agency. “However, I myself don’t understand what happened. Maybe I just hurried to make the triple axel, from which I fell very long ago. It seems I wanted to finish the program as soon as possible.”
He went on to explain, or excuse, his performance, saying that he was forced to remove a quadruple jump because of his injury and simply couldn’t readjust to doing the triple, instead. And then he lashed out at the event’s security guards.
“They didn’t allow me to warm-up: ‘You can’t run! You can’t walk! Go there! Go here!’ They began touching me and, of course, it made me angry. But it’s still inexcusable to make such mistakes.”
It’s a pretty disappointing result for the seven-time European champion as he aims to score a record fourth medal at his hometown Games next year. Here’s hoping he gets back to fighting-shape before worlds.
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program 2
- Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011 0
- Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008 0
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships men’s, pairs events 0
- Boston 2024 calls for statewide referendum for Olympic bid 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)