Jan 24, 2013, 2:55 PM EST
Three-time Olympic medalist Yevgeny Plushenko decided to withdraw from the European figure skating championships in Croatia Thursday after receiving a less than stellar score on his short program.
He was sitting in sixth with just 74.82 points, a full fifteen points behind Frenchman Florent Amodio, after mistakes on two key jumps during his routine.
“It’s not a tragedy,” Pluschenko told Ves-Sport news agency. “However, I myself don’t understand what happened. Maybe I just hurried to make the triple axel, from which I fell very long ago. It seems I wanted to finish the program as soon as possible.”
He went on to explain, or excuse, his performance, saying that he was forced to remove a quadruple jump because of his injury and simply couldn’t readjust to doing the triple, instead. And then he lashed out at the event’s security guards.
“They didn’t allow me to warm-up: ‘You can’t run! You can’t walk! Go there! Go here!’ They began touching me and, of course, it made me angry. But it’s still inexcusable to make such mistakes.”
It’s a pretty disappointing result for the seven-time European champion as he aims to score a record fourth medal at his hometown Games next year. Here’s hoping he gets back to fighting-shape before worlds.
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)