VIDEO: Lindsey scores first victory of 2013

Jan 19, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT

Christophe Pallot/Agence Zoom/Getty Images Getty Images

Lindsey Vonn won her first downhill race of the new year in Italy Saturday, and her first race of any kind in more than five weeks, beating World Cup points leader Tina Maze by roughly a half-second.

“I’m excited to be racing and I have that fire again and I trust that my body is strong enough to ski the way I want to ski,” Vonn told the AP. “It wasn’t always the case in all the races this year. I’m back to my old self and it’s a good feeling.”

After a three-week break, and another skipped race following her return, Vonn finished in 1:38.25. Maze finished 0.43 behind and American Leanne Smith finished third for her second podium of the season.

“When I decided to take the break, I was so weak,” added Vonn. “I didn’t know if I was going to be able to build enough strength back up in that short time to be able to race… I finally feel like myself again. I feel healthy, finally, and I’m able to ski the way I want to. It’s good to be back on top.”

Vonn is back on the mountain Sunday competing in a super-G race in Cortina. The four time world champ has won this particular race each of the last three years, so hopes are high.

Enjoy her performance here:

Latest Posts
  1. Japan’s prime minister wants to hold Robot Olympics in 2020

Jul 23, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT

Mideast Iran RoboCup AP

Hopes to create a “robotic revolution.”

2. Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics

Jul 23, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT

2012 Olympic Games - Opening Ceremony Getty Images

Brazil has never won more than 17 medals at an Olympics.

3. USOC to meet with leaders from 2024 Olympic bid candidate cities

Jul 23, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT

USOC logo Getty Images

Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C. in the running.

4. London Olympic cauldron plagiarism dispute settled

Jul 23, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT

London Olympic Cauldron Getty Images

LOCOG acknowledges U.S. firm submitted designs that ended up being part of the cauldron.

5. Stella McCartney to design Rio 2016 uniforms for Great Britain

Jul 23, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT

Stella McCartney Getty Images

Fashion star also created Team GB kits for London 2012.

6. Vin Baker’s gold medal from 2000 Olympics set for auction

Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT

Vin Baker Getty Images

Opening bid much higher than final price for another Olympic basketball medal.

7. Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban

Jul 22, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

“It is sending a bad message,” Bolt said.

8. Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish

Jul 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas

Amarissa, 13, is a former gymnast who suffers from lupus.

9. David Boudia ponders a third diving event leading to 2016

Jul 22, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT

David Boudia Getty Images

Olympic champion finished his season in Shanghai last week.

10. Guide to the Commonwealth Games

Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Top sprinters from Jamaica, swimmers from Australia and more gather in Glasgow.

11. First Olympic golf qualification rankings released

Jul 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT

Rory McIlroy AP

U.S. stars would not make the Olympic field if it was determined today.

12. Big 12 commissioner says men’s Olympic sports could be cut

Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

Bob Bowlsby AP

NCAA’s current lawsuits may cut funding.

13. Dutch cyclist cheats death twice, avoids both Malaysian Airlines flights

Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT

Maarten de Jonge `

“It’s inconceivable,” Maarten de Jonge said.

14. 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters

Jul 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT

Champion Goldy

Extraordinary men include war veterans, longtime NASA worker, Methodist minister.

15. Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits

Jul 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT

Kim Jin-sun AP

Kim Jin-sun had been the committee’s president since October 2011.

16. Mariel Zagunis wins silver at World Fencing Championships (video)

Jul 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT

Mariel Zagunis Getty Images

U.S. Olympic flag bearer returned to the podium after missing medals at 2012 Olympics, 2013 Worlds.