VIDEO: Lindsey scores first victory of 2013

Jan 19, 2013, 4:46 PM EST

Christophe Pallot/Agence Zoom/Getty Images Getty Images

Lindsey Vonn won her first downhill race of the new year in Italy Saturday, and her first race of any kind in more than five weeks, beating World Cup points leader Tina Maze by roughly a half-second.

“I’m excited to be racing and I have that fire again and I trust that my body is strong enough to ski the way I want to ski,” Vonn told the AP. “It wasn’t always the case in all the races this year. I’m back to my old self and it’s a good feeling.”

After a three-week break, and another skipped race following her return, Vonn finished in 1:38.25. Maze finished 0.43 behind and American Leanne Smith finished third for her second podium of the season.

“When I decided to take the break, I was so weak,” added Vonn. “I didn’t know if I was going to be able to build enough strength back up in that short time to be able to race… I finally feel like myself again. I feel healthy, finally, and I’m able to ski the way I want to. It’s good to be back on top.”

Vonn is back on the mountain Sunday competing in a super-G race in Cortina. The four time world champ has won this particular race each of the last three years, so hopes are high.

Enjoy her performance here:

Latest Posts
  1. Boston Marathon finish line shoveled by Ironman triathlete

Jan 28, 2015, 3:23 PM EST

Boston Marathon finish line shoveled

“I only did it to send a message,” shoveler said.

2. K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006

Jan 28, 2015, 2:02 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

An Olympic legend helped convince him to come back, possibly for the 2018 Olympics.

3. Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season

Jan 27, 2015, 4:14 PM EST

Tori Bowie Getty Images

Bowie may try to make the World Championships team in three individual events.

4. Yohan Blake details ‘dreams’ for 2015

Jan 27, 2015, 2:37 PM EST

Yohan Blake Getty Images

Once Usain Bolt’s top rival, the Jamaican is returning from a second major injury in as many years.

5. Lance Armstrong on forgiveness: ‘We’re getting close to that time’

Jan 26, 2015, 2:41 PM EST

AP AP

Armstrong touched on many topics in a BBC interview.

6. Martina Hingis eyes Rio Olympics

Jan 26, 2015, 10:58 AM EST

Martina Hingis Getty Images

Could Hingis return to Olympic tennis, 20 years after her only Olympic appearance?

7. South Korean Olympic swim champ Park Tae-hwan fails drug test

Jan 26, 2015, 8:41 AM EST

Park Tae-hwan Getty Images

Park’s management agency cited “an illegal injection administered by a local doctor.”

8. Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title

Jan 25, 2015, 9:48 PM EST

AP AP

Brown is the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.

9. Sage Kotsenburg, Jamie Anderson beaten in Winter X Games slopestyle

Jan 25, 2015, 7:35 PM EST

Sage Kotsenburg Getty Images

Instead, past Winter X Games champions prevailed in Aspen.

10. WATCH LIVE: U.S. Figure Skating Championships men’s free skate — 4 p.m. ET

Jan 25, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

Jason Brown Getty Images

Jason Brown tries to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.

11. WATCH LIVE: ‘Lindsey Vonn: The Climb’ documentary — 3 p.m. ET

Jan 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Lindsey Vonn

An inside look at the skier’s comeback from two major knee surgeries.

12. Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video)

Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn captured victory No. 64 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.

13. Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title

Jan 24, 2015, 11:50 PM EST

Ashley Wagner Getty Images

Wagner becomes the oldest women’s champion since Michelle Kwan.

14. Chloe Kim wins Winter X Games halfpipe at age 14

Jan 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EST

Chloe Kim Getty Images

Kim outdueled the greatest snowboarder of all time.

15. WATCH LIVE: U.S. Figure Skating Championships — 8 p.m. ET

Jan 24, 2015, 7:00 PM EST

AP AP

Gracie Gold wants to deny history for Ashley Wagner.

16. WATCH LIVE: U.S. Figure Skating Championships — 3 p.m. ET

Jan 24, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Maia Shibutani, Alex Shibutani Getty Images

Pairs free skate and free dance national titles to be awarded.

17. Lindsey Vonn struggles in St. Moritz downhill (video)

Jan 24, 2015, 6:23 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn missed an opportunity to all but clinch the World Cup season downhill title.

18. Jason Brown leads U.S. short program; quad debate stoked

Jan 23, 2015, 11:58 PM EST

Jason Brown

Brown is poised to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion in 11 years.

19. Lindsey Jacobellis wins ninth Winter X Games title

Jan 23, 2015, 3:12 PM EST

Lindsey Jacobellis Getty Images

Jacobellis has now won 13 gold medals in 18 major championships.