VIDEO: Lindsey scores first victory of 2013

Jan 19, 2013, 4:46 PM EST

Christophe Pallot/Agence Zoom/Getty Images Getty Images

Lindsey Vonn won her first downhill race of the new year in Italy Saturday, and her first race of any kind in more than five weeks, beating World Cup points leader Tina Maze by roughly a half-second.

“I’m excited to be racing and I have that fire again and I trust that my body is strong enough to ski the way I want to ski,” Vonn told the AP. “It wasn’t always the case in all the races this year. I’m back to my old self and it’s a good feeling.”

After a three-week break, and another skipped race following her return, Vonn finished in 1:38.25. Maze finished 0.43 behind and American Leanne Smith finished third for her second podium of the season.

“When I decided to take the break, I was so weak,” added Vonn. “I didn’t know if I was going to be able to build enough strength back up in that short time to be able to race… I finally feel like myself again. I feel healthy, finally, and I’m able to ski the way I want to. It’s good to be back on top.”

Vonn is back on the mountain Sunday competing in a super-G race in Cortina. The four time world champ has won this particular race each of the last three years, so hopes are high.

Enjoy her performance here:

Latest Posts
  1. U.S. figure skaters officially bronze medalists, 50 years later

Nov 26, 2014, 7:42 AM EST

Vivian Joseph, Ronald Joseph Getty Images

Sister-brother team had bronze medals, but the official results didn’t reflect that until Tuesday.

2. Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman back on USA Gymnastics national team

Nov 25, 2014, 1:19 PM EST

Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman Getty Images

Neither has competed since the London Olympics.

3. Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016

Nov 25, 2014, 10:46 AM EST

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Scheduling conflicts, another new event?

4. Rio Olympic commemorative coins to be issued

Nov 25, 2014, 9:27 AM EST

Rio Olympic coins

Christ the Redeemer, Olympic motto honored on the coins.

5. Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles

Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 PM EST

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps is working toward 2015 goals, a North Baltimore official said.

6. Pat Quinn, who coached Canada to gold in 2002, dies at 71

Nov 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EST

Pat Quinn Getty Images

Canada won its first men’s hockey Olympic gold in 50 years under Quinn.

7. Claressa Shields, Marlen Esparza win World Boxing Championships

Nov 24, 2014, 10:11 AM EST

Claressa Shields Getty Images

Olympic champion Shields was named the tournament’s best overall boxer.

8. Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84

Nov 24, 2014, 9:17 AM EST

Viktor Tikhonov Getty Images

Tikhonov led the Soviets in the Miracle on Ice game.

9. Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban

Nov 24, 2014, 8:42 AM EST

Sun Yang Getty Images

Sun tested positive for a substance he could have used legally if he filed paperwork with anti-doping officials.

10. Ted Ligety expected back shortly after wrist injury (video)

Nov 23, 2014, 8:38 PM EST

Ted Ligety

Video of how he suffered the injury was posted on Ligety’s social media.

11. Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture

Nov 22, 2014, 4:24 PM EST

Maksim Kovtun Getty Images

It’s unlikely a U.S. man will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.

12. Renaud Lavillenie, Valerie Adams win IAAF Athlete of the Year awards

Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Renaud Lavillenie Getty Images

This year’s winners came from unprecedented nations and events.

13. Ashley Wagner trails, Denis Ten leads at Trophee Bompard (video)

Nov 21, 2014, 2:24 PM EST

Ashley Wagner AP

Wagner could match a Michelle Kwan feat at the French event.

14. Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed

Nov 21, 2014, 8:59 AM EST

Angelina Jolie, Louis Zamperini AP

“Unbroken” film about Olympian and World War II hero comes out on Christmas.

15. Table tennis player shoves over referee after loss (video)

Nov 20, 2014, 5:34 PM EST

Table Tennis

Young Dmitry Melnichenko lost the match, then lost his cool.

16. Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 PM EST

Joss Christensen Getty Images

Olympic ski slopestyle champion uses a chainsaw every day.

17. Louie Vito hopes to stand out after missing Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 3:03 PM EST

Louie Vito Getty Images

Vito thought he had what it took to make the Olympic team, but judges didn’t see it the same way.