VIDEO: Lindsey scores first victory of 2013

Jan 19, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT

Christophe Pallot/Agence Zoom/Getty Images Getty Images

Lindsey Vonn won her first downhill race of the new year in Italy Saturday, and her first race of any kind in more than five weeks, beating World Cup points leader Tina Maze by roughly a half-second.

“I’m excited to be racing and I have that fire again and I trust that my body is strong enough to ski the way I want to ski,” Vonn told the AP. “It wasn’t always the case in all the races this year. I’m back to my old self and it’s a good feeling.”

After a three-week break, and another skipped race following her return, Vonn finished in 1:38.25. Maze finished 0.43 behind and American Leanne Smith finished third for her second podium of the season.

“When I decided to take the break, I was so weak,” added Vonn. “I didn’t know if I was going to be able to build enough strength back up in that short time to be able to race… I finally feel like myself again. I feel healthy, finally, and I’m able to ski the way I want to. It’s good to be back on top.”

Vonn is back on the mountain Sunday competing in a super-G race in Cortina. The four time world champ has won this particular race each of the last three years, so hopes are high.

Enjoy her performance here:

Latest Posts
  1. Katie Ledecky entered in mixed-gender races this weekend

Oct 31, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Ledecky, and other women, are entered in mixed-gender distance races in Delaware.

2. Javier Fernandez leads at Skate Canada; surprise American scores

Oct 31, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT

Javier Fernandez Getty Images

The top U.S. man on Friday finished 10th at the U.S. Championships in January.

3. Boston, Chicago Marathon winner Rita Jeptoo fails drug test

Oct 31, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT

Rita Jeptoo Getty Images

The Kenyan won four straight World Marathon Majors.

4. Neymar will be on Brazil’s Olympic soccer team, coach says

Oct 31, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT

Neymar Getty Images

But Neymar’s status for Rio 2016 is still very much in question.

5. Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog

Oct 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

Keflezighi faces tough odds to win Sunday, just as in Boston.

6. USA Swimming names World Championships roster without Michael Phelps

Oct 30, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

The U.S. roster includes zero men who had the fastest time in the world this year in an Olympic event.

7. Yuna Kim named Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic honorary ambassador

Oct 30, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Yuna Kim Getty Images

Figure skating champion joins MLB outfielder, ballerina.

8. Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression

Oct 29, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Matt Anderson

Anderson is the two-time reigning USA Volleyball Player of the Year.

9. Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams

Oct 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

Caroline Wozniacki Getty Images

Tennis player flew from Singapore to Denmark to New York this week.

10. Fire inside London Olympic Stadium (photos)

Oct 29, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT

Olympic Stadium

Rising black smoke caused brief panic, but the fire was quickly put out.

11. Shani Davis leads U.S. speed skating team for fall World Cups

Oct 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT

Shani Davis Getty Images

One of the U.S.’ strongest skaters from last season is not on the team.

12. Paralympic skier Josh Sundquist a foosball player for Halloween

Oct 28, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Josh Sundquist

Sundquist was a partially eaten gingerbread man, a leg lamp and a flamingo in recent years.

13. Germany will bid for 2024 Olympics

Oct 28, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT

Germany flag Getty Images

Either Berlin or Hamburg will be chosen in March.

14. Boston 2024 unveils new website, promo video

Oct 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Those against Boston hosting an Olympics sent a letter to the USOC.

15. Rio Olympic golf course given deadline to decide on moving 3 holes

Oct 28, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT

Rio Olympic golf course AP

Judge rules in lawsuit over environmental concerns.