VIDEO: Lindsey scores first victory of 2013

Jan 19, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT

Christophe Pallot/Agence Zoom/Getty Images Getty Images

Lindsey Vonn won her first downhill race of the new year in Italy Saturday, and her first race of any kind in more than five weeks, beating World Cup points leader Tina Maze by roughly a half-second.

“I’m excited to be racing and I have that fire again and I trust that my body is strong enough to ski the way I want to ski,” Vonn told the AP. “It wasn’t always the case in all the races this year. I’m back to my old self and it’s a good feeling.”

After a three-week break, and another skipped race following her return, Vonn finished in 1:38.25. Maze finished 0.43 behind and American Leanne Smith finished third for her second podium of the season.

“When I decided to take the break, I was so weak,” added Vonn. “I didn’t know if I was going to be able to build enough strength back up in that short time to be able to race… I finally feel like myself again. I feel healthy, finally, and I’m able to ski the way I want to. It’s good to be back on top.”

Vonn is back on the mountain Sunday competing in a super-G race in Cortina. The four time world champ has won this particular race each of the last three years, so hopes are high.

Enjoy her performance here:

Latest Posts
  1. Summer Sanders returns to run Boston Marathon again

Apr 16, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT

Summer Sanders

Olympic swimming champion finished 2013 race before explosions.

2. Nike, USA Track and Field extend partnership through 2040

Apr 16, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT

Ashton Eaton AP

Deal takes Nike, USATF through next seven Olympics.

3. Catching up with Bruce Jenner

Apr 16, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT

Bruce Jenner Getty Images

Decathlon champion talks Montreal 1976, Steve Prefontaine and the greatest athlete of all time.

4. Boston Marathon finish line security visibility increased after backpack incident

Apr 16, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT

Boston Marathon AP

Police commissioner asks spectators not to flock to Boylston Street on Monday.

5. Oscar Pistorius trial will take break for 2 weeks

Apr 16, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Judge will spend break reading 2,000-page court record.

6. ISU receives South Korea complaint over figure skating judging

Apr 16, 2014, 4:17 AM EDT

Yuna Kim Getty Images

Korea Skating Union is protesting the makeup of judges, not the results.

7. Boston Marathon tribute, moment of silence held near finish line

Apr 15, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

Boston Marathon Bombing Anniversary AP

Survivors, first responders, those affected by attack take part in tribute.

8. Boston sports teams share same #BostonStrong tweet

Apr 15, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT

Boston Strong

Teams’ tweets sent at same time Tuesday morning.

9. Usain Bolt talks about foot injury, focus beyond 2014

Apr 15, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

World’s fastest man might not race again until June.

10. Can Michael Phelps excel in comeback?

Apr 15, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

What is the competition like in Phelps’ potential events?

11. Oscar Pistorius’ cross-examination ends at murder trial

Apr 15, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Prosecution asks for break until May 5.

12. Boston Marathon tragedy remembered on anniversary

Apr 15, 2014, 8:16 AM EDT

Boston Marathon Reuters

Ceremony, moment of silence to honor, remember last year’s tragedy.

13. Catching up with Mark Henry

Apr 14, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Mark Henry Getty Images

‘World’s Strongest Man’ talks about nude photo shoot, pro wrestling career, meeting Andre the Giant.

14. Michael Phelps coming out of retirement

Apr 14, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps announced as headliner for meet next week, ending two-year break.

15. How Michael Phelps spent his retirement (photos)

Apr 14, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Pele, Michael Phelps AP

22-time Olympic medalist expected to come out of retirement next week.

16. Update: One runner dies, another goes missing, found after London Marathon

Apr 14, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT

London Marathon

Woman who finished 20th found day after disappearing.

17. International Ski Federation defends slopestyle’s safety

Apr 14, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT

Alexey Sobolev Reuters

It’s too early to draw conclusions on Sochi, FIS official says.

18. Oscar Pistorius emotionally breaks down as prosecution alleges inconsistencies

Apr 14, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Pistorius hugged by woman as he enters court, signs autograph after Monday’s session.

19. Slopestyle’s injury rate too high for Olympics, IOC official says

Apr 13, 2014, 8:13 AM EDT

Shaun White Reuters

Ski and snowboard slopestyle’s injury rates highest among Sochi sports.

20. Boston Marathon details security near finish line

Apr 13, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT

Boston Marathon Reuters

More checkpoints, police officers along Boylston Street to the finish.

Inside Michael Phelps' comeback