VIDEO: Lindsey scores first victory of 2013

Jan 19, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT

Christophe Pallot/Agence Zoom/Getty Images Getty Images

Lindsey Vonn won her first downhill race of the new year in Italy Saturday, and her first race of any kind in more than five weeks, beating World Cup points leader Tina Maze by roughly a half-second.

“I’m excited to be racing and I have that fire again and I trust that my body is strong enough to ski the way I want to ski,” Vonn told the AP. “It wasn’t always the case in all the races this year. I’m back to my old self and it’s a good feeling.”

After a three-week break, and another skipped race following her return, Vonn finished in 1:38.25. Maze finished 0.43 behind and American Leanne Smith finished third for her second podium of the season.

“When I decided to take the break, I was so weak,” added Vonn. “I didn’t know if I was going to be able to build enough strength back up in that short time to be able to race… I finally feel like myself again. I feel healthy, finally, and I’m able to ski the way I want to. It’s good to be back on top.”

Vonn is back on the mountain Sunday competing in a super-G race in Cortina. The four time world champ has won this particular race each of the last three years, so hopes are high.

Enjoy her performance here:

Latest Posts
  1. Evan Lysacek: ‘My career is coming to an end’

Sep 2, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Evan Lysacek Getty Images

Olympic champ figure skater yet to make official decision, but shows which way he is leaning.

2. Usain Bolt takes on all questions in India

Sep 2, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT

Usain Bolt AP

Would he rather race fast cars or cheetahs?

3. Marlies Schild retires; impact on Mikaela Shiffrin

Sep 2, 2014, 7:41 AM EDT

Marlies Schild, Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Schild won silver behind Shiffrin in Sochi and is one of her idols.

4. Carl Lewis becomes full-time University of Houston track coach

Sep 1, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

Carl Lewis AP

Lewis joins staff with two other Olympic sprint medalists.

5. Berlin, Hamburg submit Olympic bid intentions

Sep 1, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT

Germany flag Getty Images

Germany is the latest rival to a potential U.S. Olympic bid in 2024.

6. African wrestlers out of World Championships due to Ebola travel restrictions

Sep 1, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT

Wrestling Getty Images

Seven from Nigeria, two from Sierra Leone out due to Uzbekistan’s restrictions.

7. Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui

Sep 1, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Haley Anderson Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist swam three days after suffering allergic reaction to jellyfish sting.

8. Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon

Aug 30, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen Rich Cruse/USA Triathlon

American overcame a 69-second deficit, passing 19 women on the 10km run to cap dominating season.

9. Henry Cejudo withdraws on eve of UFC fight debut

Aug 29, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT

Henry Cejudo Getty Images

Olympic champion cites “medical reasons” hours before weigh-in.

10. How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics

Aug 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

James Harden Getty Images

Statistically, the U.S. might be better off not winning in Spain in the Olympic scope.

11. Kayla Harrison wins bronze at World Judo Championships

Aug 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

Kayla Harrison Getty Images

Olympic champion missed 2013 Worlds after knee surgery.

12. Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton

Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen Getty Images

An accountant five years ago, triathlete is dominating after Olympic disappointment.

13. Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video)

Aug 28, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT

Tyson Gay

Allyson Felix, David Rudisha beaten in first of two Diamond League finals meets.

14. Man with cerebral palsy towed through Ironman by twin brother

Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

tvilling

Steen and Peder Mondrup completed the Ironman Copenhagen in 15 hours.

15. Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos)

Aug 28, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT

Closing Ceremony

Olympic Flag handed over to Buenos Aires, host of 2018 Youth Olympics.

16. Rio Olympics volunteer registration opens

Aug 28, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT

Rio 2016 Olympics Getty Images

Officials looking for 70,000 people over the Olympics and Paralympics.

17. Yao Ming reflects on Beijing 2008 at Youth Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT

Yao Ming, Lewis Johnson

Chinese basketball star also updates on what he’s been doing in retirement.

18. Thomas Bach hopes mixed-gender events in Nanjing impact Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Thomas Bach Getty Images

IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.

19. U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds

Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT

Sabrina Massialas Getty Images

How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?

20. Zurich Diamond League final preview

Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

David Rudisha Getty Images

Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.