VIDEO: Lindsey scores first victory of 2013

Jan 19, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT

Christophe Pallot/Agence Zoom/Getty Images Getty Images

Lindsey Vonn won her first downhill race of the new year in Italy Saturday, and her first race of any kind in more than five weeks, beating World Cup points leader Tina Maze by roughly a half-second.

“I’m excited to be racing and I have that fire again and I trust that my body is strong enough to ski the way I want to ski,” Vonn told the AP. “It wasn’t always the case in all the races this year. I’m back to my old self and it’s a good feeling.”

After a three-week break, and another skipped race following her return, Vonn finished in 1:38.25. Maze finished 0.43 behind and American Leanne Smith finished third for her second podium of the season.

“When I decided to take the break, I was so weak,” added Vonn. “I didn’t know if I was going to be able to build enough strength back up in that short time to be able to race… I finally feel like myself again. I feel healthy, finally, and I’m able to ski the way I want to. It’s good to be back on top.”

Vonn is back on the mountain Sunday competing in a super-G race in Cortina. The four time world champ has won this particular race each of the last three years, so hopes are high.

Enjoy her performance here:

Latest Posts
  1. Watch NBC Olympics one year from Rio 2016 promo video

Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT

Rio 2016

The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.

2. Triathletes’ reactions to Rio Olympic water venue after test event

Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT

AP AP

“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.

3. Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback

Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.

4. David Boudia earns another World Diving Championships silver

Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.

5. Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships

Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.

6. Ronda Rousey knocks out Bethe Correia in 34 seconds

Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT

AP AP

Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.

7. World Swimming Championships men’s preview

Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.

8. USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues

Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

AP AP

A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.

9. Which Miracle on Ice item is the toughest for Jim Craig to sell? (video)

Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Jim Craig AP

Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.

10. British Athletics clears Mo Farah after investigation

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

AP AP

Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.

11. World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule

Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Missy Franklin, Katie Ledecky Getty Images

NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.

12. Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host

Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT

Sochi Olympics Biathlon AP

Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.

13. Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships

Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT

AP AP

Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.

14. Simone Biles turns pro

Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.