Jan 18, 2013, 2:55 PM EST
Track cycling gold medalist Anna Meares of Australia is mad as hell and she’s not gonna take it anymore.
The London champ posted a rebuttal to former IOC and World Anti-Doping official Dick Pound’s thoughts on expelling the sport on her personal website, saying that removing the sport would be punishing every cyclist for the actions of a few.
“What about the many disciplines under cycling? Track, mountain bike, BMX, Para-cycling? Should they all be punished for what happened on the road pre-2000′s?” she asked.
“What about the younger generation coming through dreaming, aiming, working hard for that chance to represent their country at the Olympics who are today in their teens or younger? Do we say to them; sorry, no more dreaming for you, blame Lance Armstrong?… I hope that if there are any ramifications involved it is reserved for the people who did wrong, not the sport of cycling as a whole.”
Do you agree?
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)