Jan 18, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
Track cycling gold medalist Anna Meares of Australia is mad as hell and she’s not gonna take it anymore.
The London champ posted a rebuttal to former IOC and World Anti-Doping official Dick Pound’s thoughts on expelling the sport on her personal website, saying that removing the sport would be punishing every cyclist for the actions of a few.
“What about the many disciplines under cycling? Track, mountain bike, BMX, Para-cycling? Should they all be punished for what happened on the road pre-2000′s?” she asked.
“What about the younger generation coming through dreaming, aiming, working hard for that chance to represent their country at the Olympics who are today in their teens or younger? Do we say to them; sorry, no more dreaming for you, blame Lance Armstrong?… I hope that if there are any ramifications involved it is reserved for the people who did wrong, not the sport of cycling as a whole.”
Do you agree?
- Maria Hoefl-Riesch crashes in World Cup Finals downhill 0
- Ted Ligety stuns in World Cup Finals downhill; new overall leader 0
- Alpine Skiing World Cup Finals preview 0
- President Obama sends beer to Canadian prime minister to settle Olympic bet 2
- Boston Marathon announces increased security 0
- Oscar Pistorius vomits, cries during autopsy testimony 1
- Yuna Kim to skate in ‘retirement event’ 1