Jan 16, 2013, 9:28 AM EST
Olympic gold medal snowboarder Shaun White typically spends his summers catching air on the vert ramp, but the extreme sports star says he’ll be hanging up his skateboard in 2013 to focus on Sochi.
“The one thing that upsets me the most is that I had knee surgery, so I couldn’t really skate that much this past summer,” White told ESPN. “I don’t intend to skateboard the year before the Olympics. It’s just one of those things where a twisted ankle can put you out of the Games. I don’t like taking that chance.”
White had the knee surgery in August, and hasn’t competed in a major skateboarding competition since the Dew Tour Championships back in October 2011, when he finished second. He probably won’t have much time to skate anyway, since he’ll be adding the new slopestyle event to his Olympics repertoire as he aims for a three-peat in the halfpipe next Feburary.
Stay safe out there, Shaun.
- Is Simone Biles unbeatable? 0
- Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons 0
- Mike Powell eyes masters world record, possible Olympic trials run at age 51 0
- Behind the scenes of Miracle on Ice reunion 0
- Nastia Liukin adds to history of Olympians on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 1
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Maribor slalom, snags World Cup lead in teenage finale (video) 1
- Michael Phelps gets engaged (photos) 3
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)