Jan 14, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
American gold medalist Lindsey Vonn is still struggling in her return to the slopes and will skip the slalom race in Flachau, Austria on Tuesday to focus on her recovery, and on races in Italy this weekend.
“It’s her goal to race where she has the chance to win,” U.S. women’s head coach Alex Hoedlmoser told the AP. “And without any slalom training, there is no chance to win a slalom.”
Vonn, who has missed all six slalom races this season after being sidelined with an intestinal illness most of the year, has essentially forfeited the World Cup overall title to Slovenia’s Tina Maze.
“[Maze] had the overall title a few weeks ago already,” Vonn said after falling behind by nearly 800 points. “When I decided to take a break I knew that I would most likely lose the overall title.”
At least the four-time world champ still has another year until Sochi.
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot