Jan 14, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
And the story remains the same.
Slovenia’s Tina Maze took home her sixth World Cup victory of the season in St. Anton, Austria over the weekend, and her first super-G victory after eight previous podium finishes.
“It’s incredible, I don’t have words for this,” Maze told the AP. “I believed I could do it this season because I am skiing very well. Anna also raced great. It was very tight and I was lucky, but I am very happy to be part of this special club of winners.”
Maze held off hometown favorite Anna Fenninger, who finished second, as well as American Lindsey Vonn, her chief rival, who was racing for the first time in 2013 after taking time off to fully recover from an l illness that has plagued her all season.
Vonn, who was fourth behind Fabienne Suter of Switzerland by 0.01 seconds, said she knows there’s room for improvement, but was pleased with her return to the slopes.
“In general my speed skiing is still good, I faltered a little bit in my GS and slalom,” Vonn said. “But [Maze] has definitely proven that she’s been the best overall skier this year… If you win the overall title, no matter what the circumstances are, you definitely deserve it. She worked hard for it and I am happy for her.”
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Ted Ligety struggles in first race of season (video) 0
- Japan’s Machida routs U.S. men at Skate America; ice dancers make history 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins her first World Cup giant slalom in Soelden tie (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)