Jan 14, 2013, 12:42 PM EST
And the story remains the same.
Slovenia’s Tina Maze took home her sixth World Cup victory of the season in St. Anton, Austria over the weekend, and her first super-G victory after eight previous podium finishes.
“It’s incredible, I don’t have words for this,” Maze told the AP. “I believed I could do it this season because I am skiing very well. Anna also raced great. It was very tight and I was lucky, but I am very happy to be part of this special club of winners.”
Maze held off hometown favorite Anna Fenninger, who finished second, as well as American Lindsey Vonn, her chief rival, who was racing for the first time in 2013 after taking time off to fully recover from an l illness that has plagued her all season.
Vonn, who was fourth behind Fabienne Suter of Switzerland by 0.01 seconds, said she knows there’s room for improvement, but was pleased with her return to the slopes.
“In general my speed skiing is still good, I faltered a little bit in my GS and slalom,” Vonn said. “But [Maze] has definitely proven that she’s been the best overall skier this year… If you win the overall title, no matter what the circumstances are, you definitely deserve it. She worked hard for it and I am happy for her.”
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)