Jan 11, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
The secret of Mikaela Shiffrin is out after she became the first American alpine skier to win two World Cup races before the age of 18 last week.
Now, some of her favorite Olympians are celebrating her success and following her on Twitter, including gold medal gymnasts Nastia Liukin and Aly Raisman.
“You honestly have to be kidding me,” Mikaela Tweeted. “Did someone let it slip that gymnastics is my favorite Summer Olympic event?”
She’s since traded messages with Raisman and gained hundreds of new fans. She now has more than 3,500 followers, and we believe she’ll have thousands more after Sochi next year.
Mikaela currently sits sixth in overall World Cup points this season, and she races Lindsey Vonn this weekend in Austria.
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins her first World Cup giant slalom in Soelden tie (video) 0
- Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 1
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 4
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)