Jan 9, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
Michael Phelps may be done with the water, but now he’s going up against the sharks.
The swimming legend is apparently trying his hand at poker (as well as golf) and escaped day one of the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure Main Event, where he was pitted against the likes of top pros Phil Ivey and Mike “the Grinder” Mizrachi.
At one point, Phelps went in with pocket fours against notable pro Dylan Hortin, who was holding pocket kings. Phelps caught his third four on the flop, then bet strongly into Hortin, eventually taking the pot. Hortin busted a few hands later.
He enters day two with around 92,000 in chips, about five times that of “Poker Brat” and thirteen-time World Series of Poker champ Phil Hellmuth.
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3