Jan 8, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
In other figure skating news (if you read the last story): Americans John Coughlin and Caydee Denney won’t have the opportunity to defend their 2011 National Championship because Coughlin is still recovering from a Dec. 4 hip surgery.
Coughlin and Denney were set to be the only returning pair from last year’s podium, after both the silver and bronze medal pairs split to find new partners. But that was before Coughlin, 27, suffered a torn labrum in his left hip, leaving a vacancy for any figure skating up n’ comers.
Nationals being Jan. 24 in Omaha, Nebraska.
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 0
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)