Jan 4, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Olympic mountain biker Burry Stander, 25, was killed during training after colliding with a taxi near his home in Shelley Beach, South Africa Thursday.
“I’m totally shattered,” said South African Olympic Committee President Gideon Sam, referring to Stander as “talented, ultra-competitive, but at the same time extremely humble and a true gentleman.”
Famed South African national teammate and friend Oscar Pistorius tweeted the he was “absolutely devastated” by the news of Stander’s passing.
“RIP my friend,” he finished.
Stander, an under-19 and under-23 world champ, finished fifth in London and had a bright future ahead.
- Shaun White, Kelly Clark headline Dew Tour Olympic qualifying event 0
- Evan Lysacek will not compete at Sochi Olympics (video) 1
- Ted Ligety, Bode Miller go 1-2 in Beaver Creek giant slalom (video) 1
- Lindsey Vonn says she’s ready for Sochi after best comeback result (video) 1
- Jesse Owens’ gold medal goes for $1.4 million in auction 1
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)