Jan 4, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Olympic mountain biker Burry Stander, 25, was killed during training after colliding with a taxi near his home in Shelley Beach, South Africa Thursday.
“I’m totally shattered,” said South African Olympic Committee President Gideon Sam, referring to Stander as “talented, ultra-competitive, but at the same time extremely humble and a true gentleman.”
Famed South African national teammate and friend Oscar Pistorius tweeted the he was “absolutely devastated” by the news of Stander’s passing.
“RIP my friend,” he finished.
Stander, an under-19 and under-23 world champ, finished fifth in London and had a bright future ahead.
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte