Jan 4, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Olympic mountain biker Burry Stander, 25, was killed during training after colliding with a taxi near his home in Shelley Beach, South Africa Thursday.
“I’m totally shattered,” said South African Olympic Committee President Gideon Sam, referring to Stander as “talented, ultra-competitive, but at the same time extremely humble and a true gentleman.”
Famed South African national teammate and friend Oscar Pistorius tweeted the he was “absolutely devastated” by the news of Stander’s passing.
“RIP my friend,” he finished.
Stander, an under-19 and under-23 world champ, finished fifth in London and had a bright future ahead.
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Yohan Blake details ‘dreams’ for 2015 0
- South Korean Olympic swim champ Park Tae-hwan fails drug test 1
- Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title 2
- Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video) 0
- Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title 3
- Chloe Kim wins Winter X Games halfpipe at age 14 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)