Jan 3, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
It’s back, that feeling deep in your chest that rises when the Olympics are around the corner. Surely it’s too early. It feels like just yesterday we were listening to the Spice Girls play out the last chords of London. But soft, what light through yonder window breaks: it is Sochi, a mere 400 days away.
We’re not sure we’ve ever seen a more exciting Games than London offered, including world records and career milestones from all-time greats like Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt, a three-peat from the U.S. women’s soccer team, and another victory at the medal table for the good ol’ US-of-A.
But for those who like cold weather sports (I’m especially a fan of the winter biathlon), you can look forward to Lindsey Vonn staking her claim as the world’s best alpine skier, Shaun White going for his own three-peat in the snowboard halfpipe, and Yevgeny Plushenko aiming to be the first figure skater in nearly a century to medal in four straight Games.
So come back often for more news every day on the (steadily approaching) Sochi Games. February 7, 2014 will be here faster than you think. Also, Rio is only 1310 days away, incase anyone was counting.
- U.S. edges Europe in tiebreak relay to win Duel in the Pool 0
- Lindsey Vonn optimistic after knee gives out in downhill race (video) 4
- President Obama says delegation to Sochi ‘speaks for itself’ 7
- Tiger Woods in Val d’Isere, plans to support Lindsey Vonn on road to Sochi Olympics 1
- Nike unveils U.S. Olympic Team apparel 6
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Brian Boitano announces he’s gay after being named to Sochi delegation (21)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (19)