Is Darts worthy of the Olympics?

Jan 2, 2013, 2:43 PM EST

LEON NEAL/AFP/Getty Images LEON NEAL/AFP/Getty Images

Before London, I would have scoffed at the idea of darts as an Olympic sport, but after spending each morning waking, ironing, and dressing to the popular world sport on the BBC, I’m now all for it.

Apparently so is former British Olympic Association director Sir Clive Woodward.

“Darts is definitely an Olympic sport. Look at the fans, TV coverage, audience and real skill under pressure,” Woodward tweeted during the world championships on Tuesday.

“You’d have a good atmosphere, it’d be exciting to watch,” eventual winner Phil Taylor told the BBC after capturing his sixteenth world title. “If we got in there, I’d be chuffed to bits. I don’t think it’ll be in my lifetime but you never know.”

Since it will still be pretty difficult to convince people that squash is worthy of the Olympic stamp, despite having what we assuming was the best pitch, we’re guessing that darts is a long-shot. Still, you can’t help but wonder if the Olympics could use some chubby 50-year-olds to mix things up.

1. nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Absolutely! No question some of the greatest athletes in the world are darts players. Well, along with cribbage players. And the worst thing about the Olympics is not enough sports.

2. hjworton46 - Jan 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Curling is an Olympic sport. Think about that.

• Matthew Kitchen - Jan 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

And I also absolutely love watching curling.

3. schlom - Jan 3, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I have to admit that I’ve watched darts late at night on the NBC Sports Channel. It’s pretty freaking awesome. The crowd scene is amazing – probably because 95% of the crowd is wasted.

4. xli2006 - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Darts is being considered, but Baseball and Football remain out?!?

If Darts, then why not Bowling and Billiards?

Gotta be a line somwhere.

• Matthew Kitchen - Jan 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM

To be fair, it’s not actually being considered. Yet. And baseball/softball is one of the seven finalists for the 2020 Games, though I think squash has the inside track.