Dec 31, 2012, 5:51 PM EDT
OlympicTalk’s writers recount some of their favorite moments from the 2012 London Games.
Rebecca Soni received a lot of attention in London, not only because she frequently sported a hot pink swimsuit, but because she also broke the world record for the women’s 200m breaststroke not once, but twice during the 2012 Games.
Soni first broke the 200m-breaststroke world record by clocking 2:20-flat during the semis. She broke that newly set world record 24 hours later, and defended her title from Beijing, with a time of 2:19:59, which made her the first woman to swim the event in under 2:20. It was just like her high school coach predicted years ago.
But that wasn’t all for Soni, who also took home silver medal in the 100m-breastroke, as well as another gold medal (and another world record) as a member of the 4x100m medley relay team with Missy Franklin, Dana Vollmer and Allison Schmitt.
That’s the power of pink.
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games