Dec 31, 2012, 5:51 PM EDT
OlympicTalk’s writers recount some of their favorite moments from the 2012 London Games.
Rebecca Soni received a lot of attention in London, not only because she frequently sported a hot pink swimsuit, but because she also broke the world record for the women’s 200m breaststroke not once, but twice during the 2012 Games.
Soni first broke the 200m-breaststroke world record by clocking 2:20-flat during the semis. She broke that newly set world record 24 hours later, and defended her title from Beijing, with a time of 2:19:59, which made her the first woman to swim the event in under 2:20. It was just like her high school coach predicted years ago.
But that wasn’t all for Soni, who also took home silver medal in the 100m-breastroke, as well as another gold medal (and another world record) as a member of the 4x100m medley relay team with Missy Franklin, Dana Vollmer and Allison Schmitt.
That’s the power of pink.
- 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters 0
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits 0
- Tori Bowie, Justin Gatlin star at Monaco Diamond League meet 0
- Mariel Zagunis wins silver at World Fencing Championships (video) 0
- Monaco Diamond League on world record watch; preview 0
- Gabby Douglas leaves coach Liang Chow, again 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Roger Federer play tennis in the Alps (photos) 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)