Dec 30, 2012, 1:24 PM EST
With a good performance on Sunday, Adrian Peterson can become only the seventh running back in history to rush for 2,000 yards in an NFL season.
But Peterson is thinking beyond football to the track, and now believes he has a legitimate shot at making the U.S. Olympics team in 2016, and at beating world record holder Usain Bolt.
“I can stand up to any challenge. I know a lot of people laugh at me and say, ‘come one now…'” Peterson told Yahoo! Sports. “I want to try for the Olympics, for the 200m and the 400m. That’s a goal of mine that I want to accomplish.”
The 27-year-old, who owns seven NFL rushing records, tore his ACL during a game against the Washington Redskins late last season, but said he had always planned to try his legs at sprinting before being sidelined.
Now that Peterson has recovered to lead the league with 1,898 rushing yards and bring his Vikings team to the threshhold of the playoffs, he believes his goals of making the Olympic team are back on track.
“Now that I’m back, and refreshed, I think I’m going to give it a shot still.”
Peterson said he’d like to “test the waters” as an independent at track meets, including the Penn Relays.
But despite the fact that he’s a world class athlete, a 31-year-old in Rio with a bum knee and little track experience has no chance of making the U.S. Olympic team. And even less of a chance of beating Bolt.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:22 AM EST
Franklin will likely need at least two Olympics to pass three U.S. women who share the Olympic medals record.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:03 PM EST
Canada hasn’t been that high since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:03 PM EST
A first for the U.S. in 20 years.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:39 AM EST
But a “50-50″ shot at qualifying for the Olympics this summer.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:56 AM EST
France may have to qualify for Rio with a team led by Tony Parker.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
Previously, Phelps and USA Swimming agreed he would withdraw from the World Championships team due to his DUI arrest.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST
How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?
Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST
Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST
Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:47 AM EST
Vonn is three away from another World Cup mark.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:44 AM EST
Austrian rival puts on a dominating performance in Garmisch.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST
Vonn will get another chance on Monday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST
Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST
Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.
- Missy Franklin’s dream to become most decorated female swimmer ever 0
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)