Dec 29, 2012, 9:23 AM EST
The next time you see cyclist Bradley Wiggins on the town, “blind drunk,” celebrating his most recent victory, make sure you call him sir. He’s earned it.
Wiggins capped a career-year that included becoming the first British Tour de France winner, and then the most decorated British Olympian, with what he called the “ultimate accolade”: a knighthood.
“I never ever imagined that I would ever become a knight, so it’s an incredible honor,” Wiggins told the BBC. “But there’s a slight element of disbelief and it will take a while to sink in.”
Wiggins, who rung the bell to begin the London Games, won the road cycling time trial gold in London – his seventh career medal – to tie fellow cyclist Sir Chris Hoy for the most by any British Olympian.
“It will add to the myth. I will have to get a bowler hat as well.”
Yachtsman Ben Ainslie, who has won an Olympic medal at every Games since Atlanta in 1996, was also be made a sir, and 16-time paralympic cycling medalist Sarah Storey became a dame.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:38 PM EST
Decision details Gay’s acquisition and use of performance-enhancing drugs.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Fukushima’s previous governor pitched the area to be part of Tokyo 2020, too.
Dec 17, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
A look at host nation medal contenders for Rio 2016.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
“It is breach of privacy with malicious target to soil my name.”
Dec 17, 2014, 1:51 PM EST
Japanese teen says he wasn’t satisfied winning silver in Sochi.
Dec 17, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
History shows that’s quite an ambitious goal.
Dec 16, 2014, 7:12 PM EST
USOC could wait until February to announce its city.
Dec 16, 2014, 11:36 AM EST
Bacteria found next to the starting point for Rio Olympic sailing events.
Dec 16, 2014, 9:57 AM EST
South Korea’s most decorated LPGA Tour player would have a tough time qualifying for Rio 2016.
Dec 15, 2014, 1:51 PM EST
Two retired running backs could join a long list of NFL Olympians.
Dec 15, 2014, 1:38 PM EST
Roger Federer won the Swiss men’s award, in a year he didn’t win a Grand Slam, over a Slam winner and a two-time Sochi gold medalist.
Dec 15, 2014, 11:49 AM EST
The USOC is expected to announce if it will bid for the 2024 Olympics on Tuesday, and possibly name the city.
Dec 15, 2014, 11:06 AM EST
Thirteen finals will be in morning sessions.
Dec 15, 2014, 7:44 AM EST
Another challenger to a potential U.S. bid.
Dec 14, 2014, 8:39 PM EST
The meaning behind “Vinicius” and “Tom.”
Dec 14, 2014, 5:35 PM EST
Kenworthy got the best of his Sochi Olympic podium teammates.
Dec 14, 2014, 12:09 PM EST
Olympic champion’s chances of racing World Championships super-G in doubt.
Dec 14, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Action wraps up with ski and snowboard slopestyle.
Dec 13, 2014, 6:32 PM EST
U.S. Olympians rack up victories in Breckenridge.
Dec 13, 2014, 3:56 PM EST
Japan’s Olympic champion joins exclusive company in winning back-to-back titles.
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 5
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Rome to bid for 2024 Olympics, possible events in Vatican City 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu repeats as Grand Prix Final champion (video) 0
- Ashley Wagner denies Russian sweep at Grand Prix Final (video) 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin: I have to learn how to come back 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)