Dec 28, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
SI’s writers may have picked LeBron for Sportsman of the Year, but now the fans have spoken, and swimmer Michael Phelps will grace the final cover of 2012 after winning Sports Moment of the Year.
Phelps is only the second cover athlete picked by the fans in the magazine’s 58-year history. He edged out Gabby Douglas for the award when fans picked the finale of his storied career over Gabby’s gold.
Phelps capped his Olympic career with six medals in London, bringing his haul to 22, including 18 gold; twice what any other athlete has won in history.
Other nominees for award were Peyton Manning’s return to the NFL with the Broncos, Usain Bolt’s historic runs in London, and the San Francisco Giants winning another World Series.
- U.S., Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce star to end World Indoor Championships 0
- U.S. speed skaters excel at first post-Olympic World Cup 0
- U.S. wins 2 medals on Day 2 of Paralympics, gold still elusive 0
- Ashton Eaton ‘disappointed’ after missing world record in heptathlon; World Indoors recap 0
- U.S. wins 3 medals on first day of Sochi Paralympics 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin captures slalom title, inspired by girl with leukemia (video) 1
- Ted Ligety wins first post-Olympic race, notches World Cup first (video) 0