Dec 28, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT
While Lindsey Vonn is taking a break from the World Cup circuit to fully recover from a November intestinal illness, the women were back on the slopes Friday for a giant slalom event in Austria.
Anna Fenninger won with two near-flawless runs on her home course to finish in 2:13.09, more than a full-second ahead of Slovenia’s Tina Maze.
“I had so much confidence from training,” Fenninger told reporters. “That’s what it takes to win races.”
It was Fenninger’s second win of the season, but Maze, who won four races in a row before last week, held on to her commanding overall World Cup lead with 999 points. Germany’s Maria Hoefl-Riesch is second with 582 and Fenninger’s victory slid her into fourth place, ahead of Vonn, with 450 points.
American teen Mikaela Shiffrin, who won her first World Cup race last week in Sweden, finished eighth in Austria. Three-time Olympic medalist Julia Mancuso was 25th.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
“If you are in the world’s top 50, you should be able to play in the Olympics.”
Jul 29, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
“I gave up following [Boston 2024] because it was pretty confusing.”
Jul 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
The USOC has until Sept. 15 to submit a bid.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
Craig wants $5.7 million total for all the whole collection.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT
Its Olympic qualifying tournament is in less than two months.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:32 AM EDT
It would be tougher for Wambach to make the Rio Olympic team than the 2015 World Cup team.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Watch Kim play badminton with Michelle Kwan.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Miller said June 15 he could ski a partial 2015-16 season, and a report last week cited Miller saying he would take at least one year off.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
One city’s mayor is open to discussions.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT
Horton impressively scaled the warped wall, which is about three times his height.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
The British Olympic heptathlon champion will compete at a global championship for the first time since the London Games.
Jul 28, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT
A South Sudanese marathon runner competed under a different flag at London 2012.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:09 AM EDT
Her 17-year-old teammate missed out, though, at the World Championships.
Jul 27, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
An injury to Dalhausser spelled doom to their partnership.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The 2024 bid race is down to four cities.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The three-time Olympic champion hasn’t played since dislocating a shoulder July 10.
Jul 27, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT
Steve Guerdat’s provisional ban was announced last Tuesday.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
Hernandez’s history with BMX dates to the womb.
Jul 27, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Public support in Boston and Massachusetts has been less than 50 percent for months.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
“Why does it feel good, after running, to pour a bottle of water over your head?”
- Los Angeles talks with USOC, San Francisco about 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 0
- Jim Craig wants to sell ‘Miracle on Ice’ memorabilia, gold medal 0
- Abby Wambach: I plan to play in Rio Olympics, future decisions to be made 1
- Phil Dalhausser, Sean Rosenthal split 0
- Boston ends bid for 2024 Olympics; USOC wants another city 5
- Boston mayor: Olympic bid won’t go forward if forced to sign contract today 3
- Neymar: I told Barcelona I want to play in Rio Olympics 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)