Dec 28, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT
While Lindsey Vonn is taking a break from the World Cup circuit to fully recover from a November intestinal illness, the women were back on the slopes Friday for a giant slalom event in Austria.
Anna Fenninger won with two near-flawless runs on her home course to finish in 2:13.09, more than a full-second ahead of Slovenia’s Tina Maze.
“I had so much confidence from training,” Fenninger told reporters. “That’s what it takes to win races.”
It was Fenninger’s second win of the season, but Maze, who won four races in a row before last week, held on to her commanding overall World Cup lead with 999 points. Germany’s Maria Hoefl-Riesch is second with 582 and Fenninger’s victory slid her into fourth place, ahead of Vonn, with 450 points.
American teen Mikaela Shiffrin, who won her first World Cup race last week in Sweden, finished eighth in Austria. Three-time Olympic medalist Julia Mancuso was 25th.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
The U.S. appears headed for a historically strong World Championships medal haul.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
“The critical issue that everyone asks is, ‘Can we run a privately funded Games with a surplus?'”
Jun 29, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Agnel isn’t the only men’s swimming star who will be absent from Worlds.
Jun 28, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
The women’s 800m final was the craziest of the day.
Jun 28, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
“I want justice for everyone involved.”
Jun 28, 2015, 3:53 PM EDT
Three first-time Worlds members in the women’s 5000m.
Jun 28, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Justin Gatlin is slated for the 200m.
Jun 27, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
The world’s fastest 400m woman in 2014 and 2015 failed to qualify individually for Worlds, but she still might make it.
Jun 27, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Allyson Felix and LaShawn Merritt are among those in action.
Jun 26, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
A 2012 Olympic champion failed to qualify for a final and won’t go to the World Championships.
Jun 26, 2015, 11:56 PM EDT
Powell continues his resurgence following his 2013 doping ban.
Jun 26, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Watch the men’s and women’s 100m finals on NBC Sports Live Extra.
Jun 26, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
The Dutch swimming great reminisced about Michael Phelps and picked his dream relay quartet.
Jun 26, 2015, 1:58 PM EDT
Athletes are earning spots at this weekend’s U.S. Championships.
Jun 26, 2015, 10:02 AM EDT
An unmanned boast was found near a Miami marina.
Jun 25, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
Also, a teenager became the fourth fastest American man ever in the 100m.
Andreea Raducan will not be reinstated as 2000 Olympic all-around champion after meeting with IOC president
Jun 25, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
Raducan was stripped after a team doctor gave her cold-medicine pills that contained a banned substance.
Jun 25, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
Kerri Walsh Jennings concedes she and April Ross are not the favorites.
Jun 25, 2015, 11:01 AM EDT
Nash reflected on sneaking beer into the 2000 Closing Ceremony and a cauldron malfunction at the 2010 Opening Ceremony.
Jun 25, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Bolt does not need to compete at Nationals to be eligible for the World Championships.
- Five takeaways from U.S. Track and Field Championships 0
- Boston 2024 releases Olympic bid version 2.0 (photos) 0
- Yannick Agnel withdraws from World Swimming Championships 0
- Justin Gatlin wins 200m at U.S. Championships in another personal best 0
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, fastest women upset at U.S. Championships 0
- Tyson Gay, Tori Bowie take U.S. 100m titles; Carmelita Jeter hurt 0
- Asafa Powell, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce win Jamaica Championships 100m; Yohan Blake out 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)