Dec 26, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
The Russian parliament’s upper house passed a bill Wednesday calling for upwards of $30,000 fines for anyone caught scalping tickets to the Sochi Games.
Fines would start at five or ten times the face value of the ticket for individuals trying to gain profit off a small number of tickets. The heaviest fines would come into play if the scalping was done on a large scale level, or as a business.
“We as Olympic organizers have an obligation under our contract with the International Olympic Committee to prevent speculative price hikes for hotels and Olympic tickets,” organizing committee head Alexander Zhukov said at a press conference.
Zhukov added that that room prices in Sochi will also be capped during the Games, respective to certain hotel categories, so that owner’s don’t price-out fans coming to see the events.
The bill still needs to be signed into law by President Vladimir Putin, which is likely to come only after he explains how the inspiration for the myth of Santa came from this one time he gave a boy a present.
Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
Comoros, British Virgin Islands, Romania join together in track and field finale.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Olympic ice dancing silver medalist tries out non-Olympic sports.
Aug 26, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
German, British, Dutch dressage teams win medals at World Equestrian Games.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Americans complete dominating 13-game run.
Aug 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Le Clos won five medals at the 2010 Youth Olympics before shocking the most decorated Olympian ever in London.
Aug 25, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Even his coach doubted him, but Jonathan Horton made good on a December vow.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Mixed-gender, mixed-team relay will include athletes from all track and field events.
Aug 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Men prevailed in the 200m and 800m.
Aug 25, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Filipino gymnast was separated from Singapore shooter at age 3.
Aug 24, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
“This was his toughest climb,” his coach said.
Aug 24, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Two-time Olympic medalist left off.
Aug 24, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
Mo Farah breaks a European record; Allyson Felix fails to make 100m final.
Aug 24, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Bolt has his slowest season since 2007.
Aug 24, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT
Ledecky faster in 1500m free at 17 than Ryan Lochte was at 19 in 2004.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
The World all-around champion fell on balance beam and still won easily.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:58 PM EDT
Finals at 5 a.m. ET on Sunday.
Aug 23, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
Poland’s Ewa Nikola Swoboda “appeared to tumble forward before the gun went off.”
Aug 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
Chinese martial arts-derived sport joins others seeking Olympic inclusion.
Aug 23, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
Mo Farah, Allyson Felix, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce in action.
Aug 23, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Bolt bettered his only other 100m this year.
- Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return 0
- Sam Mikulak rallies for repeat P&G Championships title (video) 0
- Usain Bolt ends his season 1
- Katie Ledecky smashes another world record at Pan Pacs 4
- Simone Biles awes judges, U.S. legend to repeat at P&G Championships 0
- Usain Bolt wins 100m in Warsaw after Humvee entrance 1
- Katie Ledecky breaks world record, Michael Phelps wins at Pan Pacs 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)