Dec 19, 2012, 7:45 AM EST
In an act of charity this holiday season, Olympic snowboarding champ Shaun White surprised fans by cutting off his signature red hair for Locks of Love, an organization that makes wigs for children who have lost their hair due to medical conditions.
“I’ve been thinking about this one for a while, but it’s for a good cause, so I want to do it. Somebody needs it more than I do,” White said in a video of the cut. “I haven’t told anyone I’m doing this. I’m just going to show up and mind-freak people. “
The 26-year-old must have been feeling pretty good after his win on the superpipe this weekend in his first event since knee surgery. White scored a 95.25 after landing a double McTwist 1260 (among other tricks) to hold off American teammate Louie Vito at the Dew Tour in Breckenridge.
Now White will aim to three-peat in the Olympic halfpipe in Sochi next year, albeit with a little less up top.
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)