Dec 19, 2012, 7:45 AM EST
In an act of charity this holiday season, Olympic snowboarding champ Shaun White surprised fans by cutting off his signature red hair for Locks of Love, an organization that makes wigs for children who have lost their hair due to medical conditions.
“I’ve been thinking about this one for a while, but it’s for a good cause, so I want to do it. Somebody needs it more than I do,” White said in a video of the cut. “I haven’t told anyone I’m doing this. I’m just going to show up and mind-freak people. “
The 26-year-old must have been feeling pretty good after his win on the superpipe this weekend in his first event since knee surgery. White scored a 95.25 after landing a double McTwist 1260 (among other tricks) to hold off American teammate Louie Vito at the Dew Tour in Breckenridge.
Now White will aim to three-peat in the Olympic halfpipe in Sochi next year, albeit with a little less up top.
- Lindsey Vonn wins cow in Val d’Isere, one victory from record 0
- Michael Phelps gets probation after guilty plea in DUI case 4
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 6
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Rome to bid for 2024 Olympics, possible events in Vatican City 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)