Dec 19, 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
In an act of charity this holiday season, Olympic snowboarding champ Shaun White surprised fans by cutting off his signature red hair for Locks of Love, an organization that makes wigs for children who have lost their hair due to medical conditions.
“I’ve been thinking about this one for a while, but it’s for a good cause, so I want to do it. Somebody needs it more than I do,” White said in a video of the cut. “I haven’t told anyone I’m doing this. I’m just going to show up and mind-freak people. ”
The 26-year-old must have been feeling pretty good after his win on the superpipe this weekend in his first event since knee surgery. White scored a 95.25 after landing a double McTwist 1260 (among other tricks) to hold off American teammate Louie Vito at the Dew Tour in Breckenridge.
Now White will aim to three-peat in the Olympic halfpipe in Sochi next year, albeit with a little less up top.
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 0
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- World Swimming Championships men’s preview 2
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics; first city to hold Summer and Winter Games 4
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)