Dec 19, 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
In an act of charity this holiday season, Olympic snowboarding champ Shaun White surprised fans by cutting off his signature red hair for Locks of Love, an organization that makes wigs for children who have lost their hair due to medical conditions.
“I’ve been thinking about this one for a while, but it’s for a good cause, so I want to do it. Somebody needs it more than I do,” White said in a video of the cut. “I haven’t told anyone I’m doing this. I’m just going to show up and mind-freak people. “
The 26-year-old must have been feeling pretty good after his win on the superpipe this weekend in his first event since knee surgery. White scored a 95.25 after landing a double McTwist 1260 (among other tricks) to hold off American teammate Louie Vito at the Dew Tour in Breckenridge.
Now White will aim to three-peat in the Olympic halfpipe in Sochi next year, albeit with a little less up top.
- Meb Keflezighi, Caroline Wozniacki to run New York City Marathon 0
- U.S. swimming rankings going into National Championships 0
- German long jump champion, a Paralympian, left off European Championships roster 3
- Eddy Alvarez heats up in Arizona League 0
- U.S. 400m runner Torrin Lawrence dies in car accident 0
- Brazil’s Olympic coach wants Neymar to play at Rio 2016 0
- U.S. teams sweep World Series of Beach Volleyball (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)