Dec 19, 2012, 7:45 AM EST
In an act of charity this holiday season, Olympic snowboarding champ Shaun White surprised fans by cutting off his signature red hair for Locks of Love, an organization that makes wigs for children who have lost their hair due to medical conditions.
“I’ve been thinking about this one for a while, but it’s for a good cause, so I want to do it. Somebody needs it more than I do,” White said in a video of the cut. “I haven’t told anyone I’m doing this. I’m just going to show up and mind-freak people. “
The 26-year-old must have been feeling pretty good after his win on the superpipe this weekend in his first event since knee surgery. White scored a 95.25 after landing a double McTwist 1260 (among other tricks) to hold off American teammate Louie Vito at the Dew Tour in Breckenridge.
Now White will aim to three-peat in the Olympic halfpipe in Sochi next year, albeit with a little less up top.
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)