Dec 17, 2012, 10:37 AM EST
Two-time Winter Olympics champ Shaun White reentered the world of snowboarding this weekend and ended up where he normally does: on top.
White was in Breckenridge, Colo. for the Dew Tour superpipe, his first event after knee surgery this summer and a run in with the Nashville PD in September. But White had no problem landing his signature Tomahawk double-cork McTwist 1260 to finish first with a final score of 95.25.
“It’s the road to Sochi, man. Here we go,” White told the Denver Post. “For me, it’s double or nothing.”
White, somehow the oldest competitor at only 26, will aim to win his third straight Olympic halfpipe gold in Sochi, and also win the slopestyle gold for good measure when the sport debuts in 2014.
He held off last year’s Dew Tour superpipe champ, Louie Vito, who pulled off four consecutive double-cork 1080s, but was unable to cap his run with a successful 1260, stumbling on his key move.
“I have a few tricks I didn’t end up doing that I’ve got in my bag,” Vito, who ended up second with a 90.00, said. “So this was a good start to the year, and I guess I’ll start warming those up. I haven’t done a lot those tricks since March. I’m not really stressing it. I’ve got tricks still to do.”
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)