Dec 17, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
After an uncharacteristic fall on the downhill course in Switzerland this weekend, gold medalist Lindsey Vonn admitted that she’s struggling to regain her energy following intestinal illness earlier this season.
Now, according to the U.S. women’s team head coach Alex Hoedlmoser, the alpine skiing star will clear her schedule for the rest of the 2012 and head home to try to fully recover.
“She’s going home for now,” Hoedlmoser told the Associated Press. “We’ll have to see when she’s ready. It’s a little bit unknown but the plan is to get her back strong… With the way the schedule has been and all the she just hasn’t had a chance to get back to strength. We want her back at full strength.”
Vonn will definitely skip two races in Sweden that she had planned to compete in this week, and will also clear technical races in Austria on Dec. 28-29 off her schedule. Beyond that, Hoedlmoser says the rest of her season will depend on her condition after the new year.
“In January there are plenty of races left for her,” he added. “The goal is to get her back up in shape.”
The break is likely to knock the four-time world champ out of the World Cup running this season. Vonn currently sits in fourth with 414 points – nearly 400 points behind the 799 put up by Tina Maze of Slovenia.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Finals at 5 a.m. ET on Friday.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Olympian Kyla Ross struggled.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Olympic champion swimmer posts Instagram videos.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
A U.S. Summer Olympic Opening Ceremony flag bearer hasn’t won individual Olympic gold since 1960.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Four past U.S. all-around champions are in the field in Pittsburgh.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Also, a rare defeat for Olympic pole vault champion.
Aug 21, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Olympic all-around champion says she’ll stay in Columbus through 2016 Olympics.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Ledecky nearly broke another world record.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
NBA legends channeled; Olympic silver medalist on judging panel.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Ukrainian’s error costs Moldovan teammate a shot at the podium.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
U.S. star first suffered back spasms at Tuesday practice.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Defending champion feels no added pressure despite seeing her face all around Pittsburgh.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Would Davis excel in softball if she tried it?
Aug 20, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Can Allyson Felix finally topple Tori Bowie?
Aug 20, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
First medals awarded on an Olympic stage in rugby since 1924.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Lily Zhang scored a breakthrough for U.S. table tennis.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT
Gold medalists Hannah Moore and Clara Smiddy will go from Nanjing to Ann Arbor.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
U.S. vs. Australia in sprint head to head; outlook for Phelps and Lochte.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Will Katie Ledecky be tested?
Aug 20, 2014, 5:34 AM EDT
Phelps’ debut in Australia pushed back to Friday.
- Simone Biles dominates to open P&G Championships 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 0
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 1
- Simone Biles a tall favorite at P&G Championships; women’s preview 0
- Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez weigh in on Mo’ne Davis 0
- Pan Pacific Championships men’s events preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)