Dec 14, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
If the International Rugby Board has their way, the sport will debut in the Olympic Stadium during the first week of the Rio Games.
IRB CEO Brett Gosper is set to go down to the Rio venues for a site visit after Christmas to convince the 2016 organizers that his sport can fill the short six-day window between the Opening Ceremony and when track and field hits the main stage.
“At the moment it is more than a hope, the Olympic Stadium has been ‘allocated’ to us and we are very excited and flattered by that,” Gosper said to reporters. “It would be fabulous if it happened. Such a wonderful venue at the Olympics says ‘major sport, mainstream’ straight away for rugby on its return and it feels like a huge vote of confidence.
“It’s a really good opportunity to set out our stall out in a meaningful way.”
Rugby is only locked in as an Olympic sport for two cycles – 2016 and 2020 – so it will need to convince the IOC that it’s a great spectator sport with international appeal before it’s up for another vote in roughly 2021. Debuting in the stadium, with the flame burning nearby, could definitely boost the sport’s profile.
Actually, why hasn’t anyone thought of this sooner?
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program 2
- Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011 0
- Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)