Vonn opens up about dealing with depression

Dec 14, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT

Mitchell Gunn Mitchell Gunn

Vancouver gold medal skier Lindsey Vonn has had a rough 2012-13 World Cup season, facing an illness that is still dragging her down despite sweeping all three races in Lake Louise Thanksgiving weekend.

But Vonn revealed a tougher battle when she spoke with People for this week’s issue, explaining that she’s dealt with depression for many years and takes medication to manage her symptoms.

“Everything about my life seemed so perfect to people. But I struggle like everyone else,” Vonn confessed, adding that at one point in 2008 she felt “hopeless, empty, like a zombie.”

Vonn also spoke about her divorce from husband and coach, Thomas Vonn, after four years of marriage.

“Divorce doesn’t fit my cookie-cutter image. But I got to the point where I said, ‘I don’t care if I ever win another race; I just can’t live like this.’”

The four-time world champ has bounced back, though, and her 57th career world cup win last week puts her only five behind the all-time leader Annemarie Moser-Proell. Vonn is in France for three races this weekend.

“I feel like I just needed to get everything off my chest… All the parts of my life are finally in sync. I accept who I am, and I’m moving forward.”

Latest Posts
  1. Indian boxer refuses bronze medal at Asian Games

Oct 1, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT

Sarita Devi Getty Images

Video of bizarre scene during medal ceremony.

2. Oslo withdraws 2022 Olympic bid after ‘no’ vote

Oct 1, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT

Oslo 2022 Getty Images

Almaty, Kazakhstan and Beijing are the two remaining finalists.

3. Dennis Kimetto gets hero’s welcome in Kenya (photos)

Oct 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT

Dennis Kimetto Getty Images

Marathon world record smasher reportedly already has 2015 plans.

4. North Korea vs. South Korea in Asian Games men’s soccer final

Oct 1, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

North Korea men's soccer Getty Images

Game will be played in South Korea with more than a gold medal at stake.

5. Kyla Ross suffered hip injury before World Championships

Oct 1, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT

Kyla Ross Getty Images

Olympic team champion trained with her hip and thigh taped Wednesday.

6. Lindsey Vonn’s return to snow ‘went well,’ U.S. coach says

Oct 1, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Vonn strapped on skis in Austria, preparing for her World Cup return later this fall.

7. Justin Gatlin eyes more 200s after undefeated season

Oct 1, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Sprinter discusses Usain Bolt, reflects on 2014 and looks ahead to 2015.

8. Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charges

Sep 30, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

The 22-time Olympic medalist was pulled over in Maryland overnight.

9. U.S. women’s basketball team beats Angola by 75 points

Sep 30, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT

Tina Charles Getty Images

U.S.’ previous biggest blowout was 70 points over Senegal.

10. Lauryn Williams ‘playing with the idea’ of bobsled this season

Sep 30, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT

Lauryn Williams Getty Images

Summer and Winter Olympian previously said she was all but retired.

11. Lindsey Vonn set for first skiing in 10 months, named 2016 Youth Olympics ambassador

Sep 30, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Vancouver downhill champion expected to ski in Austria on Wednesday.

12. Patrick Chan eyes return to competition in 2015-16

Sep 30, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT

Patrick Chan Getty Images

Canadian joins long list of skaters sitting out this season.

13. Katinka Hosszu wins record 10 golds in 2 days at FINA World Cup

Sep 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

Katinka Hosszu Getty Images

Hungarian matched her Monday output on Tuesday but lacked top competition.

14. Mikaela Shiffrin gets her own street in Vail

Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT

Mikaela Shiffrin

Olympic slalom champion also gave an update on her 2014-15 plans.

15. Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon

Sep 29, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT

Dennis Kimetto Getty Images

Dennis Kimetto’s record-smashing win in Berlin brings the barrier into closer view.

16. ISU wants synchronized figure skating in Winter Olympics

Sep 29, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

Synchronized Skating Getty Images

ISU asks for synchronized skating and a new speed skating event for 2018.

17. Yevgeny Plushenko wants to prove he ‘is not a coward’

Sep 29, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT

Yevgeny Plushenko Getty Images

Plushenko received criticism for withdrawing at Sochi Olympics.