Vonn opens up about dealing with depression

Dec 14, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT

Mitchell Gunn Mitchell Gunn

Vancouver gold medal skier Lindsey Vonn has had a rough 2012-13 World Cup season, facing an illness that is still dragging her down despite sweeping all three races in Lake Louise Thanksgiving weekend.

But Vonn revealed a tougher battle when she spoke with People for this week’s issue, explaining that she’s dealt with depression for many years and takes medication to manage her symptoms.

“Everything about my life seemed so perfect to people. But I struggle like everyone else,” Vonn confessed, adding that at one point in 2008 she felt “hopeless, empty, like a zombie.”

Vonn also spoke about her divorce from husband and coach, Thomas Vonn, after four years of marriage.

“Divorce doesn’t fit my cookie-cutter image. But I got to the point where I said, ‘I don’t care if I ever win another race; I just can’t live like this.’”

The four-time world champ has bounced back, though, and her 57th career world cup win last week puts her only five behind the all-time leader Annemarie Moser-Proell. Vonn is in France for three races this weekend.

“I feel like I just needed to get everything off my chest… All the parts of my life are finally in sync. I accept who I am, and I’m moving forward.”

Latest Posts
  1. Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video)

Aug 28, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT

Tyson Gay

Allyson Felix, David Rudisha beaten in first of two Diamond League finals meets.

2. Man with cerebral palsy towed through Ironman by twin brother

Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

tvilling

Steen and Peder Mondrup completed the Ironman Copenhagen in 15 hours.

3. Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos)

Aug 28, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT

Closing Ceremony

Olympic Flag handed over to Buenos Aires, host of 2018 Youth Olympics.

4. Rio Olympics volunteer registration opens

Aug 28, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT

Rio 2016 Olympics Getty Images

Officials looking for 70,000 people over the Olympics and Paralympics.

5. Yao Ming reflects on Beijing 2008 at Youth Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT

Yao Ming, Lewis Johnson

Chinese basketball star also updates on what he’s been doing in retirement.

6. Thomas Bach hopes mixed-gender events in Nanjing impact Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Thomas Bach Getty Images

IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.

7. U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds

Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT

Sabrina Massialas Getty Images

How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?

8. Zurich Diamond League final preview

Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

David Rudisha Getty Images

Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.

9. Shakur Stevenson wins Youth Olympic boxing gold; Rio next? (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT

Shakur Stevenson Getty Images

Stevenson has unprecedented junior credentials for a U.S. boxer.

10. Youth Olympics 8x100m champion relay team crosses continents, events, genders (video)

Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT

Youth Olympics 8x100m relay Getty Images

Comoros, British Virgin Islands, Romania join together in track and field finale.

11. Tanith Belbin visits Youth Olympics Sports Lab (video)

Aug 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

Tanith Belbin

Olympic ice dancing silver medalist tries out non-Olympic sports.

12. Rio Olympics have first qualified entries

Aug 26, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Germany equestrian Getty Images

German, British, Dutch dressage teams win medals at World Equestrian Games.

13. Youth Olympic ambassador Chad le Clos reflects on beating Michael Phelps (video)

Aug 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

Chad le Clos Getty Images

Le Clos won five medals at the 2010 Youth Olympics before shocking the most decorated Olympian ever in London.

14. Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return

Aug 25, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

Jonathan Horton Getty Images

Even his coach doubted him, but Jonathan Horton made good on a December vow.

15. 8x100m relay with 500 athletes to finish Youth Olympics track competition

Aug 25, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT

Baton Getty Images

Mixed-gender, mixed-team relay will include athletes from all track and field events.

16. Youth Olympians reunited for first time in 12 years

Aug 25, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT

Ava Lorein Verdeflor Getty Images

Filipino gymnast was separated from Singapore shooter at age 3.

17. Sam Mikulak rallies for repeat P&G Championships title (video)

Aug 24, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT

Sam Mikulak Getty Images

“This was his toughest climb,” his coach said.