Vonn opens up about dealing with depression

Dec 14, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT

Mitchell Gunn Mitchell Gunn

Vancouver gold medal skier Lindsey Vonn has had a rough 2012-13 World Cup season, facing an illness that is still dragging her down despite sweeping all three races in Lake Louise Thanksgiving weekend.

But Vonn revealed a tougher battle when she spoke with People for this week’s issue, explaining that she’s dealt with depression for many years and takes medication to manage her symptoms.

“Everything about my life seemed so perfect to people. But I struggle like everyone else,” Vonn confessed, adding that at one point in 2008 she felt “hopeless, empty, like a zombie.”

Vonn also spoke about her divorce from husband and coach, Thomas Vonn, after four years of marriage.

“Divorce doesn’t fit my cookie-cutter image. But I got to the point where I said, ‘I don’t care if I ever win another race; I just can’t live like this.’”

The four-time world champ has bounced back, though, and her 57th career world cup win last week puts her only five behind the all-time leader Annemarie Moser-Proell. Vonn is in France for three races this weekend.

“I feel like I just needed to get everything off my chest… All the parts of my life are finally in sync. I accept who I am, and I’m moving forward.”

Latest Posts
  1. Katie Ledecky would qualify for Olympic Trials in men’s events

Sep 23, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

USA Swimming Olympic Trials time standards reveal Ledecky’s greatness.

2. Livestrong CEO to step down

Sep 23, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Doug Ulman, Lance Armstrong Getty Images

Doug Ulman calls last two years “most stressful” period of his life.

3. Yuzuru Hanyu (back) pulls out of first event this season

Sep 23, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT

Yuzuru Hanyu Getty Images

Olympic champion’s scheduled Grand Prix events are in November.

4. Sun Yang beats Kosuke Hagino (linked video), Ye Shiwen wins at Asian Games

Sep 23, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT

Sun Yang Getty Images

Chinese Olympic champion evens head to head with Japan’s rising star in Incheon.

5. Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir to sit out season

Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT

Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir Getty Images

Canadians not ruling out return to ice dancing.

6. Noora Raty plays men’s hockey in Finland; Shannon Szabados set to return to Columbus

Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT

Noora Raty Getty Images

Raty nearly did something two Canadian Olympic women’s goalies couldn’t do against the men.

7. Skylar Diggins, 2 others cut after Team USA’s first loss since 2011

Sep 22, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT

Skylar Diggins Getty Images

U.S. women must cut one more player before FIBA World Championships.

8. Carolina Kostner called in for doping hearing again Friday

Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Figure skater to be questioned over doping by her ex-boyfriend, Olympic champ race walker.

9. Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps

Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT

Michael Phelps, Kosuke Hagino Getty Images

World’s greatest swimmer on display at Asian Games.

10. Scary crash at World Road Cycling Championships (video)

Sep 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT

Anna Van der Breggen Getty Images

Lead cyclist hits fence, trailing cyclist breaks pelvis.

11. Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos)

Sep 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT

World Volleyball Championship Poland Getty Images

Upset of dynastic Brazil sets off bedlam inside arena, outside streets for host nation.

12. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction

Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT

April Ross, Kerri Walsh Jennings Getty Images

Walsh Jennings, Ross played with interesting keys looped through chains Sunday.

13. Oksana Chusovitina, 39, eyes all-around at World Gymnastics Championships

Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT

Oksana Chusovitina Getty Images

Uzbekistan gymnast has competed at World Championships since 1991.

14. Australia swim star Grant Hackett returns to training, dismisses Rio

Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT

Grant Hackett Getty Images

“I would be 36 for Rio. That’s probably just getting on a bit too much.”

15. Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months

Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Wallace Spearmon Getty Images

Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.

16. Viktoria Komova out of World Gymnastics Championships, report says

Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT

Viktoria Komova Getty Images

Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.

17. South Korea hockey teams given spots in 2018 Olympics

Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT

South Korea hockey Getty Images

There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games