Vonn opens up about dealing with depression

Dec 14, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT

Mitchell Gunn Mitchell Gunn

Vancouver gold medal skier Lindsey Vonn has had a rough 2012-13 World Cup season, facing an illness that is still dragging her down despite sweeping all three races in Lake Louise Thanksgiving weekend.

But Vonn revealed a tougher battle when she spoke with People for this week’s issue, explaining that she’s dealt with depression for many years and takes medication to manage her symptoms.

“Everything about my life seemed so perfect to people. But I struggle like everyone else,” Vonn confessed, adding that at one point in 2008 she felt “hopeless, empty, like a zombie.”

Vonn also spoke about her divorce from husband and coach, Thomas Vonn, after four years of marriage.

“Divorce doesn’t fit my cookie-cutter image. But I got to the point where I said, ‘I don’t care if I ever win another race; I just can’t live like this.’”

The four-time world champ has bounced back, though, and her 57th career world cup win last week puts her only five behind the all-time leader Annemarie Moser-Proell. Vonn is in France for three races this weekend.

“I feel like I just needed to get everything off my chest… All the parts of my life are finally in sync. I accept who I am, and I’m moving forward.”

Latest Posts
  1. The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record

Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT

Mike Powell Getty Images

A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.

2. Bill Demong to run New York City Marathon

Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Bill Demong Getty Images

Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.

3. Bangalore half marathon leaders get lost, forced to take train

Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Bangalore Marathon Getty Images

“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”

4. Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale have Olympic 100m final speed, Liverpool manager says

Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale Getty Images

How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?

5. Lindsey Vonn still struggles with depression

Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.

6. Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Apolo Ohno AP

Ohno said he went into “full warrior mode” in Hawaii.

7. Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos)

Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

ATHLETICS-CHN-MARATHON-BEIJING Getty Images

U.S. Embassy scale had air pollution level at “hazardous.”

8. IOC wants ‘full explanation’ from Russian about ‘Williams brothers’ comments

Oct 20, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Shamil Tarpischev Getty Images

Shamil Tarpischev, Russian tennis president, is also a longtime IOC member.

9. Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season

Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Aksel Lund Svindal Getty Images

How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.

10. Shaun White brings Air & Style event to Rose Bowl

Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.

11. Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes opine on skating to lyrics

Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Michelle Kwan Getty Images

Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.

12. Oscar Pistorius’ sentence expected Tuesday

Oct 17, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Runner faces up to 15 years in prison.

13. Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists

Oct 17, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Gatlin’s inclusion on previous 10-man nomination list drew criticism.

14. Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired

Oct 16, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT

Noelle Pikus-Pace Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist has an interesting post-skeleton bucket list.

15. Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind

Oct 16, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT

Simone Biles Getty Images

Biles recalls bee tale, talks of specific vault upgrade, uneven bars hatred.

16. J.R. Celski not on U.S. short track team for World Cups

Oct 16, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

J.R. Celski Getty Images

Three-time Olympic medalist previously said he was taking a break.

17. Simone Biles returns home to pack of gymnasts (video)

Oct 15, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Simone Biles

Biles talks about the bee and what’s next.

18. Ryan Lochte makes teen swimmer’s wish come true

Oct 15, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Erik Nieman, 15, flew from Arkansas to Charlotte for a special training session.

19. Gracie Gold calls audible, adds lyrics for post-Olympic season

Oct 15, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT

Gracie Gold Getty Images

U.S. champion makes her Grand Prix season debut at Skate America next week.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games