Vonn opens up about dealing with depression

Dec 14, 2012, 1:02 PM EST

Mitchell Gunn Mitchell Gunn

Vancouver gold medal skier Lindsey Vonn has had a rough 2012-13 World Cup season, facing an illness that is still dragging her down despite sweeping all three races in Lake Louise Thanksgiving weekend.

But Vonn revealed a tougher battle when she spoke with People for this week’s issue, explaining that she’s dealt with depression for many years and takes medication to manage her symptoms.

“Everything about my life seemed so perfect to people. But I struggle like everyone else,” Vonn confessed, adding that at one point in 2008 she felt “hopeless, empty, like a zombie.”

Vonn also spoke about her divorce from husband and coach, Thomas Vonn, after four years of marriage.

“Divorce doesn’t fit my cookie-cutter image. But I got to the point where I said, ‘I don’t care if I ever win another race; I just can’t live like this.’”

The four-time world champ has bounced back, though, and her 57th career world cup win last week puts her only five behind the all-time leader Annemarie Moser-Proell. Vonn is in France for three races this weekend.

“I feel like I just needed to get everything off my chest… All the parts of my life are finally in sync. I accept who I am, and I’m moving forward.”

Latest Posts
  1. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video)

Jan 30, 2015, 4:53 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

NBC’s figure skating analysts will be part of Super Bowl XLIX pregame coverage starting at noon ET on Sunday.

2. Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story

Jan 30, 2015, 4:12 PM EST

Galen Rupp Getty Images

Rupp will compete in the Armory Track Invitational on NBCSN on Saturday.

3. Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans

Jan 30, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Tatyana Chernova beat Jessica Ennis at the 2011 World Championships.

4. Rita Jeptoo gets two-year doping ban

Jan 30, 2015, 9:32 AM EST

AP AP

The ban would rule Jeptoo out of the Rio Olympics.

5. World Alpine Skiing Championships broadcast schedule

Jan 29, 2015, 3:37 PM EST

Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

How to watch Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin and more go for gold in Colorado.

6. Boston Marathon finish line shoveled by Ironman triathlete

Jan 28, 2015, 3:23 PM EST

Boston Marathon finish line shoveled

“I only did it to send a message,” shoveler said.

7. K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006

Jan 28, 2015, 2:02 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

An Olympic legend helped convince him to come back, possibly for the 2018 Olympics.

8. Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season

Jan 27, 2015, 4:14 PM EST

Tori Bowie Getty Images

Bowie may try to make the World Championships team in three individual events.

9. Yohan Blake details ‘dreams’ for 2015

Jan 27, 2015, 2:37 PM EST

Yohan Blake Getty Images

Once Usain Bolt’s top rival, the Jamaican is returning from a second major injury in as many years.

10. Lance Armstrong on forgiveness: ‘We’re getting close to that time’

Jan 26, 2015, 2:41 PM EST

AP AP

Armstrong touched on many topics in a BBC interview.

11. Martina Hingis eyes Rio Olympics

Jan 26, 2015, 10:58 AM EST

Martina Hingis Getty Images

Could Hingis return to Olympic tennis, 20 years after her only Olympic appearance?

12. South Korean Olympic swim champ Park Tae-hwan fails drug test

Jan 26, 2015, 8:41 AM EST

Park Tae-hwan Getty Images

Park’s management agency cited “an illegal injection administered by a local doctor.”

13. Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title

Jan 25, 2015, 9:48 PM EST

AP AP

Brown is the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.

14. Sage Kotsenburg, Jamie Anderson beaten in Winter X Games slopestyle

Jan 25, 2015, 7:35 PM EST

Sage Kotsenburg Getty Images

Instead, past Winter X Games champions prevailed in Aspen.

15. WATCH LIVE: U.S. Figure Skating Championships men’s free skate — 4 p.m. ET

Jan 25, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

Jason Brown Getty Images

Jason Brown tries to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.

16. WATCH LIVE: ‘Lindsey Vonn: The Climb’ documentary — 3 p.m. ET

Jan 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Lindsey Vonn

An inside look at the skier’s comeback from two major knee surgeries.

17. Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video)

Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn captured victory No. 64 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.

18. Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title

Jan 24, 2015, 11:50 PM EST

Ashley Wagner Getty Images

Wagner becomes the oldest women’s champion since Michelle Kwan.