Dec 12, 2012, 1:41 PM EDT
We’re 14 months and counting from the opening of the Sochi Games, and the city is nearing the end of a six-year construction effort that started as soon as Russia won the right to host the Olympics.
Organizers are already running test events, including a figure skating Grand Prix and Ski Jumping World Cup event, and Sochi CEO Dmitry Chernyshenko said he’s “happy that we fit the highest requirements of the international federations.”
The Atlantic has put together a stunning set of 26 photos that show the construction of Sochi’s picturesque Olympic Park, including the Bolshi Ice Dome, the Iceberg Palace, the Olympic Oval, and Shayba Arena, all of which you can check out here.
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead