Dec 12, 2012, 1:41 PM EST
We’re 14 months and counting from the opening of the Sochi Games, and the city is nearing the end of a six-year construction effort that started as soon as Russia won the right to host the Olympics.
Organizers are already running test events, including a figure skating Grand Prix and Ski Jumping World Cup event, and Sochi CEO Dmitry Chernyshenko said he’s “happy that we fit the highest requirements of the international federations.”
The Atlantic has put together a stunning set of 26 photos that show the construction of Sochi’s picturesque Olympic Park, including the Bolshi Ice Dome, the Iceberg Palace, the Olympic Oval, and Shayba Arena, all of which you can check out here.
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)